Death with Dignity

Written by Marty on March 23rd, 2005

With the resent tragedy in the news the questions should be asked about Death with Dignity. Here in Oregon we legalized Physician-Assisted Suicide to help such people. The question that we are polling are should there be a national “Death with Dignity act?” Should the laws about pain medicine be relaxed? Should there be Universal Health Care so that money would not be a factor?

This is from the FAQs about Physician-Assisted Suicide. You can find out about our law by clicking here.

Q: What is Oregon's Death with Dignity Act?

A: The Death with Dignity Act permits physicians to write prescriptions for a lethal dosage of medication to people with a terminal illness. This procedure is also known as physician-assisted suicide.

The Death with Dignity Act was a citizens' initiative passed twice by Oregon voters. The first time was in a general election in November 1994 when it passed by a margin of 51% to 49%. An injunction delayed implementation of the Act until it was lifted on October 27, 1997. In November 1997, a measure was placed on the general election ballot to repeal the Death with Dignity Act. Voters chose to retain the Act by a margin of 60% to 40%.

What ever happened to let live and let die? If God is calling someone home who are we to stand in the way? I just don't see why drugs that help with the pain should be so regulated and everything else isn't.

Check out CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll the majority of Americans agree with the Democratic Party on this.

I don't see why anyone can be against any of these especially if we believe in the sanctity of life.

1. No way, it would lead to people committing suicide for any reason.
    2. Within reason, if someone is really in pain they should get the relief they need, but you don't want people overdosing by mistake.
    3. Maybe for those catastrophic illness, but I think that President Bush did put through something like that.

Come on Rick, do you want to do away with the government all together? Dems are always talking about aiding how people live, so how can you say “let live and let die?”

Hey Pet, does that part about pain pills include Rush Limbaugh? I'm sorry but if he were a Democrat you guys would be screaming about it. I just think that some of these things look a little different depending on where you stand. It is easy to be against death with dignity until it hits at your home.

With the death of Terri Schiavo the right is poised to strike out at Oregon

Funny picture, but I don't think it's their brains that are the problem- it's their hearts. I was talking about this at work about this the Republicans want people to have long slow painful death. That is just wrong.

I am Sorry For anyone that has such little faith In their HEAVENLY FATHER TO TRUST IN HIS WAY TO let HIM DECIDE when HE will take the BREATH OF LIFE HE HAS GIVEN THEM AWAY from them,…
    HE HAS HAD IT WRITTEN “I GIVE LIFE and I WILL TAKE IT. ” NONE TRUST IN HIS TRUTH , HIS WORD, HIS REALITY IN what HE HAS SAID and DONE FOR THEM. EVEN THOUGH HIS EVIDENCE IS In THAT WHICH HAS BEEN MADE.

I AM APPAULLED at the AMOUNT OF people THAT AGREE with ASSISTED SUICIDE>>> TO TAKE ONES OWN LIFE?? IS TO SAY; “I DO NOT TRUST YOU HEAVENLY FATHER TO DO YOUR WILL I WOULD RATHER DO MY OWN WILL AND DIE!!!!! THEN TO TRUST IN YOUR WISDOM OF WHEN YOU SAY IT IS MY TIME TO COME HOME!! “

WITHOUT FAITH ,, NONE CAN PLEASE GOD , IF GOD IS NOT HAPPY THEN WHAT???

Tell me, please, is there a specific passage in the
    Bible where God says “I will give life and I will take it away?”
    I have done a computer search of the Bible (NIV) and cannot find a specific passage that says that.
    Although I am not in favor of assisted suicide, or suicide of any kind, I believe in this kind of death with dignity:
    When a quality of life cannot be maintained, do not take heroic and unusual, unnatural methods to keep the body alive. Do maintain measures to alleviate pain and suffering.
    In the case of Terri Schiavo there should have been no outside interference at all.

Deu 32:39 See now that I, [even] I, [am] He, and [there is] no God besides Me : I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither [is there any] that can deliver out of my hand.

Suzanne, for years people would just stop eating when it was clear that God was calling them home. They were dieing and in pain, but without faith? I don't think so. Oh no, they trust in the Lord is so strong that they accepted that God had decided that their time was up without bitterness and submitted to his will. As the end approached they laid their burdens down in front of Jesus, having submitted to his will and having a couple of Doctors sign off on the medication. They simply stepped out in faith and put the immortal souls in the hands of Jesus.
    They had reached the realization that death wasn't the end, only a passage to a far better life that God was calling them to. I hope that when my time comes that I will have enough faith to meet death with the same courage as these people have. For death isn't something to be feared, it should be embraced.