Freedom for All

Written by Grandma Bee on July 1st, 2005

It might surprise some people when I say that I agree with Dr. James Dobson when the “Focus on the Family” says this in regards to marriage.

Marriage is a sacred, legal, and social union ordained by God to be a life-long, sexually exclusive relationship between one man and one woman.

Marriage should be looked at as a very sacred matter, something that is never taken lightly. I believe that the reason that divorce is at an all time high is because marriage is not being looked at as a sacred advent. In today’s world the old fashion courtship has flown out the window. People rush into marriage without knowing what they are getting into and often the only bond they share is the bedroom. It bothers me when we focus on the gays and forget that we heterosexuals have marriage problems that the Church should be addressing. I question how productive such words of Dr. Dobson are;

Focus on the Family holds this institution in highest esteem, and strongly opposes any legal sanction of marriage counterfeits, such as the legalization of same-sex “marriage” or the granting of marriage-like benefits to same-sex couples, cohabiting couples, or any other non-marital relationship.  http://www.family.org/cforum/fosi/marriage/ssuap/a0029773.cfm

I understand keeping marriage between a man and a woman but when we turn around and say that even “civil unions” should not be allowed I question what type of Christian message is being heard. Don’t misunderstand me, it would break my heart if any of my children or grandchildren were to tell me that they were gay, but I would never stop loving them. I would pray for them and hope they could have the happiest lives possible. I’m not saying that I would condone the activity but in a free society my opinion stops at my nose.

It just seems to me as we are about to celebrate the 4th of July that Freedom should not be denied to any Americans, even if I strongly disagree with their life-style. It is my hope that you all will have a joyous 4th and instead of thinking about your rights, think about the rights of the other American.

My Grandpa use to say that people who stuck their noses into other people

Hi Grandma,
    Great post! Many of life's problems can be traced to one not minding their own business. I guess “Live and let live” is old-fashioned today.

Hi Apple,
    What ever happen to the notion that only a pervert wants to know what others do in the bedroom? I know in today's world that everybody is talking about sex, but when that talk comes from the church you know we are in real trouble. On the lighter side, I like your name, I bet you

The morals of the country are everybody

Who is self appointed guardian of the morals?
    I think prohibition showed that we can't legislate morals.
    Marriage is between a man and a woman, but what's wrong with a legal union or agreement between same sexes?
    Is it any different from an older man and a woman, both widowed, desiring to live together and create an agreement, but don't want to enter into marriage because they would be penalized on their pensions and savings? They should be able to enter a legal agreement which is binding, but not called marriage. I think we're hung up here with the term marriage.

Marty,
    Here is something I posted on another board. I thought you might find it interesting to conduct a poll here.
    In your opinion, who is the most hated man in the world? Submit the name only, and not the reasons for your choice. Please start another thread if you wish to discuss your choice, and please, only one submission per person.

It seems that during this administration that every issue that anyone brings up someone calls for a Constitutional Amendment. Why? In the case of same sex marriage, most states, including mine, have laws prohibiting it.
    We are having too much knee-jerk reaction to issues that come up; abortion, gun control, burning of the flag, posting of the Ten Commandments in public places. . . Let

Sorry, that second 27 should have been 17

I just created the poll Most Hated Man I will index it tomorrow. I tried to pick out 5 men that I have heard people express their dislike for. I hope this is what you wanted.

What has happened to the former United States? Look around you and wake up. Is this the country that had the cooperation and enthusiasm of all its citizens when Neal Armstrong walked on the moon? The country that produced a Jonas Salk who perfected a vaccine that eradicated polio? Do you see the country that defeated fascism and imperialism in the Second World War? Is this the country that gives all its citizens the chance to achieve their best? Is this the country that goes into a voting booth and expects their vote to count? Is this the country that demands and expects the highest moral and ethical standards for these elected leaders? Is this the country that ranks among the top in both humanitarian and economic achievements? Do all our citizens even have a chance to enjoy all the benefits of American Citizenship?
    I see a country that has an inner conflict that is tearing it apart, and setting brother against brother. I see an ambitious few that will sell their souls to the devil or anyone they think will give them the greatest advantage. I see these same people selling out this country. They have no concern or compassion of the best for all its citizens. They are greed, money, and power driven.
    Somewhere along the line differing ideologies have set themselves up as the reining or ruling power. They have characterized those that oppose their ideas as traitors, or less than human. Does that sound familiar? Unfortunately not. They do not know or have ignored the history that caused our great uniting over 60 years ago to defeat the enemies of freedom and democracy, and they themselves are traveling down that same path. Maybe they are doing it out of ignorance of the facts, but somewhere there is a leader that has this all mapped out. Out of ignorance, many are following these evil leaders.
    These leaders have pitted religious belief against religious belief. Our freedom of religion has come to mean freedom of any religion except the one they prescribe, and of course there are those religious charlatans and false prophets that endorse their actions. They are also looking for a piece of the pie.
    History has taught us that most great civilizations achieved the height of their greatness in about two hundred years. This country is twenty-nine years past that mark.

I couldn't find the Bible passage that I wanted; it said something like wow to the one who would divide the body of Christ. I believe that God wants us to be one people, but the devil he wants us to be fighting each other. There are politicians who use this to get elected; they don't care about Christ or his people only about their power. They are dividing the Country, the Church and the American People. I feel that these persons should not be allowed into places where they can do these things. We need to get back to teaching about being one.

I agree, Jessica, and only by informing and educating ourselves can we arrive at the right decision.
    I have found that Bible Gateway is a good place to look up Bible passages. They have a very good search engine, and several different translations you can use.
    Click Here