Grieving Mother

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on August 12th, 2005

Author: Marty Martorella

From the beginning the far right has claimed that the only way to support the troops is to support Mr. Bush. The fact is that most Americans support the troops without regard to political associations. It would be nice it the White House would also support the troops, but that does not seem to be the case. I say this because as soon as anyone speaks up the smear campaign starts.

On April 4th last year, 24-year-old Army Specialist Casey Sheehan died in Iraq. This week, while President Bush vacations in Texas, Casey's mother, Cindy Sheehan, sits vigil outside the president's ranch. Cindy says that she won't leave until President Bush meets with her to discuss the war—even if it means spending all of August there.

Cindy Sheehan was not an anti-war activist, but the loss of her son and the mounting evidence of deception by the Bush administration pushed her to speak out. Cindy simply wants to meet with the president to ask him to tell the truth about why her son died—and to stop using Casey's and other soldiers' deaths to justify continuing the war. But Cindy's reflections on the war are also a reminder to all of us about the importance of getting involved:

I shamefully and regretfully admit that before Casey was killed in Iraq I didn't publicly speak out against the war. I didn't shout out and say, “Stop. Stop this insane rush to an invasion that has no basis in reality. Don't invade a country based on cherry-picked intelligence and despicable scare tactics. You don't use our country's precious lifeblood unless it’s absolutely necessary to defend America.” If I had broken the bonds of my slavery to silence sooner, would Casey still be alive? I don't know.

For me it is unfathomable how anyone could attack the families of those troops which have fallen in battle. Such people who would do that have no concept of what it means to support the troops. Media Matters reports;

One day after smearing protester Cindy Sheehan, O'Reilly claimed he and Malkin were “respectful” to herhttp://mediamatters.org/items/200508110002

Here are three examples of the smear campaign from the right;

1)  The Bush-bashing mother of a soldier who died in Iraq last year has garnered quite a bit of buzz from the MSM for her anti-war vigil outside of Crawford, Texas. Drudge highlights her rather drastic change of heart: http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003204.htm

2)  Anti-War Pigs Update: Cindy Sheehan as Michael Moore's Stooge http://www.pardonmyenglish.com/archives/2005/08/antiwar_pigs_up.html

3)  Cindy Sheehan: Are Those Crocodile Tears? Ordinarily I have a great deal of sympathy for the families of soldiers who die in combat defending our freedom. I lose that sympathy, when I see those same family members using the death or injury of their loved one for political gain. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1424985/posts

The question that I have is why do the extremist known as Neo-Cons feel the need to attack a grieving mother? What would be wrong with a president who calls himself a Christian meeting with that mother? One is left wondering what type of Bible does Mr. Bush read.

Don

I watched it, it does look like she changed her opinion did I miss something?

You may have missed this part of the article;

Drudge, however, took Sheehan's quotes from The Reporter out of context in falsely claiming a shift in her position. The June 24, 2004, Reporter article also quoted Sheehan expressing her misgivings about Bush and the Iraq war:

“We haven't been happy with the way the war has been handled,” Cindy said. “The president has changed his reasons for being over there every time a reason is proven false or an objective reached.”

The 10 minutes of face time with the president could have given the family a chance to vent their frustrations or ask Bush some of the difficult questions they have been asking themselves, such as whether Casey's sacrifice would make the world a safer place.

But in the end, the family decided against such talk, deferring to how they believed Casey would have wanted them to act. In addition, Pat noted that Bush wasn't stumping for votes or trying to gain a political edge for the upcoming election.

Moreover, Sheehan was not referring to her meeting with Bush as “the gift the president gave us.” She was actually referring to the trip to Seattle, as Reporter staff writer Tom Hall noted in an August 9 article responding to Drudge: “Sheehan also said the trip to Seattle helped connect her family to others that had lost a son or daughter in Iraq. Sheehan said sharing their story with those families was rewarding, as was the time she got to spend with her own family. 'That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together,' she said in the story. Drudge included that quote in his Monday morning report, but didn't explain that it referred to sharing time with her family, not the president.”

Carolyn, What makes you think that they don't know his name? You started out with a real good post and then you had to end it by saying that it was a political cirrus. Those people with the political agenda are in Bush's ranch.

Re; Your poll about the rightness or wrongness of attacking a grieving mother.
    This is not a freedom of speech issue. It is a matter of common decency, which seems to be in short supply among the neo-cons.
    A grieving mother, and indeed anyone grieving the loss of a loved one, needs comfort and solace, not some mean-spirited criticism.
    This just gives lie to the notion that this is a Christian nation, and that it's leaders have compassion and concern for those hurting.
    For bush to ride by where the mother is holding her vigil, is just another slap in the face and a demonstration of his crass indifference.

I agree with you, but I tried to pick out the argument that the right might try to make in a halfway honest manner. The truth is that they are motivated out of hate and an ungodly anger towards anyone who is not in lock-step with the Neo-Cons. I just wish those Christians on the right would say enough with the hate.

Right Bush left his ranch to do a fund rising – that is a political agenda not asking why her son had to die! I tried to find an image of Bush hiding from Cindy Sheehan, but I couldn't. That is just what Bush is doing and for Rovites to be attacking her is just despicable, how can they call themselves Christians?

Jess,

It does make one wonder how much they really know about Jesus to act this way. I just want to remind everyone these few extremist do not represent the majority of Republicans, these ones have always been the loud mouths that give their party a bad name. Even through we do not have anyone like that in the Democratic Party we neither can lay claim to the sovereign title of Christianity. There are good Christians in both parties, for that matter in most political parties. Here are two images of Mr. Bush trying to hide from Cindy Sheehan.

I feel sorry for her-she has a right to question Iraq. Here in Ohio where 20 members of the 3rd battalion, 25th Marine regiment were lost last week [14 from Ohio] we,ve had public memorials, and the furerals. At least 1 set of parents has expressed similar feelings as MS. Sheehan.

I agree with you but don't you think that she is just being left-wing Dems? Did you know that groups like PETA are trying to use this as a fund raiser?

Right blondie, it has become a political cirrus. I'm just waiting from the clowns to show up.

Bush should show that he really feels for the victims of his war and send his daughters to fight! I can't believe all the hate being spewed at Cindy. That is just wrong!

There are a lot of whacked out extremists on the right trying to put words into Cindy

that is a political agenda not asking why her son had to die! I tried to find an image of Bush hiding from Cindy Sheehan, but I couldn't. That is just what Bush is doing and for Rovites to be attacking her is just despicable, how can they call themselves Christians?testking JN0-562 | testking 000-730 | testking 000-076