Cheap Gas

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on May 20th, 2006

Author: Marty Martorella

It was 73 when I started driving in Reno, Nevada. Gas was 48¢ a gallon and the highways had no speed limits. People drove as fast as they liked and never worried about the price of gas. Now those days are but a dim memory. I regret all the times I complained about gas raising to $1 per gallon, I would never have guessed that it would one day sale for $3.50. To think it would make a 600% jump in price from that 48¢ a gallon was too mind-boggling. The amount that it takes to fill up today can put a person into a real depression.

Yesterday I was having some work done to my car. While I waited I walked a few blocks to a restaurant I like. As I walked I thought make over the years when gas was cheaper. There were the late 70s when I was in college with little money and rode my bike most places. After college the jobs were hard to find, but I found one that paid a low livable wage. I was able to drive with little thought of the price. By the mid 80s the economy had dropped out along with many jobs. This forced me to use the bike again, until I was able to start working two jobs. 72 hours a week made it possible to eat and live without too much worried. Of course there was not much time for anything else like sleep, but I had money for food and gas.

Then Bill Clinton became President and the economy really started to roll. I was able to get a high paying job which because of my seniority I still have. I think that the price of gas is ridicules but I have been in far worse situations in the pass. I grudgingly fill up and then go for a joy drive. What is sad is those who cannot afford to fill up and get food. I am sure that many would like to see a sign like the one in the picture. One does have to wonder as to what could possibly be the answer.

I feel sorriest for the elderly and people on minimum wage. It might not seem like much to people who have money but to people who barely have enough to eat this is horrible!

Marty,
    Being somewhat more mature than you, (mature sounds better than the other word) I remember during most of my childhood that gas remained somewhere in the 28 – 32 cents a gallon range. The higher priced gas was called “white gas”, Amoco's premium high test unleaded gas. Those that were fortunate to have lawnmowers with gasoline engines, and anyone that had a Coleman gas mantle lantern used white gas. Some few folks did put it in their cars, but for most it was too expensive at 33 – 34 cents a gallon. Just after the end of WWII so called independent stations were springing up. They would undersell many of the “Name Brand” stations, but that was usually all they did, sell gas. Hey, don't we have that all over today? We've quit calling them service stations, because none of them offer the kind of service that all stations offered back then. Now we even pump our own gas and clean our own windshields, and any other of a number of things a “Service Station Attendant” used to do. An occasional gas war would see temporary prices as low as 19 cents a gallon.
    I guess this all fits in with the five cent Coca Cola that now costs $1.00, along with the Hershey bar. Isn’t that about a 2000% increase?
    This is not to bring up and long for the good old days, because I believe that we are living in the good old days. Certainly in a standard of living, technology, and medical marvels that no one dreamed of 50 – 100 years ago.

Hey, did you just call me childish? LOL, I know what you mean; on the 29th I will turn 49. I cannot believe that I have been alive for almost half a century. I would never have dreamed of such things as cell phones or personal computers back in college. I just have to wonder about what has not been dreamed up as of yet.

As a child I never had to mow the lawn as I had the misfortune to have been born with severe asthma. I praise God for having healed me of it worse effects. Needless to say, that I do not relish the thought of growing old, but I am thankful for the life that I have had.

It took about $30 to fill up my car before going for a joyride through the Columbia gorge. (Here in Oregon it is illegal to pump our own gas, so there is no such thing as a self-serve station.) I love to take drives on the old scenic highway along the Columbia River. Yes, the cost of the gas is annoying but I try to look at it as I am just paying for a nice afternoon. What concerns me are those people who cannot do this. The picture is from a station which is closed right now, but I thought that it was nice to see the prices at that leave.

You should have included drilling for more oil. Had Clinton and the environmentalist allowed this we might not be for to rely on the Middle East for our oil. Other than that I get what you’re saying and I would like to find that gas station too.

TrendsetterA,
    I wonder if in some 40 years if people will look back on these days and wonder what it was like not to have the new type of gas. This might be just the thing that gets things rolling and a new power source could emerge.

Marty,
    I’m not a fan of the high fuel prices either but you have the right idea of looking on the bright side of it. I like the saying, “If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”

If things keep going the way that are now, in 100 years only the rich will be able to own and operate a car. The rest of us will be lucky if there's still public transportation.