Attacking Children ~ How Low Will They Go?

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on October 18th, 2007

Author: Marty Martorella

Graeme Frost gave the Democratic radio address criticizing President Bush's veto of a bill to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) which has brought upon him merciless attacks by the extreme far right. We all have heard it said, “What would Jesus say?” Well, let's take a look at what Jesus would say about this, (based on the Bible.) Click on the video below to see.

This is what Graeme Frost said in the Democratic radio address, I ask you what did he say that justifies all the hate spewing out of the right. That address is below for you to see.

You will not believe the hate that has been spewed out towards this young man and his family. There is just no excuse for the personal attacks that these insecure people make, and I ask you how could they say these lies about a child? Instead of attacking people who have opinions that differs from these extremists they ought to make their best argument against the opinions. Here is what has been reported:

What sent me over the edge? The Republican-tinged blogosphere attack on a Baltimore, MD family (mom, dad, 12-year-old son, 9-year-old daughter and two other children). A family that had the chutzpah to step into the public spotlight to talk about their experiences with a subsidized insurance program (funds are part federal, part state, part family).

And this is the kind of tripe heaped on them. Anonymously, of course:

If federal funds were required [they] could die for all I care. Let the parents get second jobs, let their state foot the bill or let them seek help from private charities. … I would hire a team of PIs and find out exactly how much their parents made and where they spent every nickel. Then I'd do everything possible to destroy their lives with that info.

But rather than argue the (de)merits of the legislation, the right-leaning blogosphere (and National Review and Limbaugh) took aim at a 12-year-old boy. And they didn't even have the decency to take aim with accuracy — it was fire, ready, aim.

From the Baltimore Sun:

The onslaught began over the weekend, a week after 12-year-old Graeme Frost delivered the Democrats' weekly radio address with a plea to Bush to sign the bill. A contributor to the conservative Web site Free Republic noted Graeme's enrollment in the private Park School and the sale of a smaller rowhouse on the Frosts' block for $485,000 this year and questioned whether the family should be taking advantage of the state program.

That post was picked up by the National Review Online and other Web sites. By Monday, Rush Limbaugh was discussing the family's earnings and assets on the air, and the blogger Michelle Malkin was writing about her visit to Halsey Frost's East Baltimore warehouse and her drive past the family's Butchers Hill rowhouse. Liberal bloggers, meanwhile, were complaining that the Frosts were being “swift-boated.”

Facts R Not Us
I hate what passes for political discourse today. As much as I applaud the democratization of voices made possible by the social web, I hate today's result. A step-by-step rebuttal:

• The family is “rich.”
    According to USA Today, the family of six makes about $45,000 a year. This is “well below the $55,220 limit for a family of six set under the original SCHIP program” in Maryland. (emphasis added)
  • The family could afford insurance (related to: the family is rich).
    In 2004, two children were severely injured in a car accident, one permanently disabled. The folks who say these children are “insurable” must have been asleep during the briefing on how pre-existing conditions either aren't insurable or cost an arm-and-a-leg. (Been there, done that with a knee injury.)
  • The family lives in a high-rent neighborhood and so could afford … what? (related to: the family is rich).
    Bloggers said the house was worth more than $400,000. It is in a “modest” Baltimore neighborhood (Butchers Hill) and according to public records is valued at about $260,000. The family bought the home for $55,000 in 1991 or 1990 (conflicting news reports) when “'there were drug dealers and prostitutes on our street,' Bonnie Frost said. Halsey Frost, a woodworker, did most of the renovations, which are 'still not done,' Bonnie said.”
  • The kids attend a private school with annual tuition of $40,000 (related to: the family is rich).
    They do attend private school. The boy is on a scholarship; the girl's tuition is paid by the state because she needs special ed due to her disabilities.

Added: for the record, I don't consider $45,000 annual income “rich” even if it's one person living solo. I think it's great that this family had the financial where-with-all to buy a home 17 (or so) years ago, and I'm pretty sure their mortgage (even after tapping the equity to remodel the home after the children were injured) is a heck of a lot cheaper than rent would be.

I roll my eyes when politicos trot out “poster children” for a cause (they're not always under 18) but I totally understand the need to turn dry facts and data into a story. We've been doing that since before the written word, judging by those caves in France. Why this child and this story got the right-wingers Hanes knotted up I leave to the imagination of the reader. http://uspolitics.about.com/b/a/208234.htm

I could write more as to how disgusting these people who call themselves Freepers, Neo-Cons and sadly Christians (one must wonder what Bible they read.) can attack children. Below are two more video clips which deal with the attack on these children by the extreme far-right.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” />

It's not often that I'm ashamed of my party, but this is one of those times. The only reason that I can think of that President Bush would vote the Schip bill is that it added a tax on tobacco. I don't smoke so this wouldn't affect me, but maybe it should. If the Democrats really believe in it then they should have the guts to tax us all for it. A tobacco tax is just not reliable.

Bush vetoed a bill extending and reforming the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.
    So we're asking Bush and the Members of Congress who support his veto and all his supporters:
    Would you deny your own family what you'll be denying millions of other families if this bill is vetoed?
    If you don't believe the federal government should support children's health care, how can you in good conscience accept it for your own families?

I'm sorry, I meant to post that on the article “Bush Vetos Healthcare for Kids”
    I can't understand how anyone can justify attacking children that have been helped by the Schip program. Are these people heartless?

How do people keep falling for the Democratic parties bull. They were just elected to a majority in both houses and their two main platforms were Iraq and the rising DEFICIT.
    So what is the first thing they do? They try to increase a program by over 35 billion dollars for insurance FOR THE CHILDREN, Thats all you have to say is it is for the children and everyone is supposed to bend over backwards and ante up.
    Well who is increasing the deficit now and who is trying to keep costs under control?

The Repugs are the ones without courage because they caved into the demands of the White House. This was a bipartisan bill to benefit children who need medical care. It's appalling that Bush would veto this. It seems that George W is against everything he doesn't propose and doesn’t favor his rich friends.

I read this on a message board; I would love to get my hands on the guy who wrote it.

These children just need to show some personal responsibility. Why don't they get a job? And as patriots, they should die for their country, not get free health care.

How can you justify that type of thinking Jack?

Fiscal conservatism is dead in Washington folks. This “War on Terror” has become the black hole for your tax dollars. Instead of making sure all children have health care in our country, we're using that money to “fight global terrorism” in Iraq. You want some interesting reading? Go to: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06885t.pdf. $35 billion dollars over 7 years is A DROP IN THE BUCKET compared to the 100 billion INCREASE that congress has approved to “rebuild Iraq” in the past five years. Fiscal conservatives my …… That's our government folks.

I think this is what they are really afraid of. They know that National health care for everyone is the future and that they can't fight it any more. They figure so long as they have their's the rest of us can go die.

WHOM is not knowing that anyone working and having GROUP INSURANCE has coverage for the children of the family. MAYBE NOT for all things BUT neither does any have healthcare for all things. HELP for most yes. and FOR ALL CHILDREN THAT HAVE NONE AT ALL because DAD nor MOM have NONE and are not working have health care because they are on the PUBLIC AID rolls THERE IS HELP OUT THERE for anuyone even a CHILD for some healthcare. WHAT do yopu want GOVERNMENTAL HEALTHDCARE PROGRAM THAT THE GOVERNMENT PAYS IT ALL FOR YOU AFTER BUYING OUT ALL THE INSURANCE COMPANIES???? IN OTHER WORDS A UNITED STATES UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE STYSTEM THAT WILL end up being LIKE ALL IN the world that is already proven to be NOT WORKING THAT is why they come to AMERICA because they cannopt get THE CARE they NEED IN their own COUNTRIES. sorry I AM NOT FOR GIOVERNMENT PAYING ALL MY WAY NOR MY KYDS OR GRANDKYDS WAY IN THIS WORLD. THERE ARE HEALTH INSURAMNCE COMPANIES PUBLIC AID AND GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES what more hel-p f do ya want . without having to pay something out of your pocket for it?
    AM I ON SS YES because MY HUSBAND WORKED so I COULD DRAWN SS . do I have HELP with MY PERSCRIPTIONS yes BUT I ALSO PAY some on each one also WHY?? BECAUSE I HAVE THE RIGHT TO DRAW SS AND HAVE HELP BUT I ALSO AM NOT AGAINST PAYING TOWARDS IT EITHER> I DO NOT WANT THE GOVERNMENT TELLING ME WHO AND WHAT HOSPITAL I CAN GO INTO OR SEE NEITHER DO I WANT TO HAVE TO GO SOMEWHERE OUT OF AMERICA TO GET A SURGERY DONE THAT MUST BE DONE BECAUSE THEY CANNOT.. IT has always prooved a truth that when GOVERNMENT TAKES OVER ANYTHING ENTIRELY THEY SCREW IT UP ROYALLY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE NOT JUST SOME.
    REASON we have a GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE AND VOTE INSTEAD OF A DICTATORIAL REGIM LIKE COMMUNISM OR BE HAVING A KING OR A QUEEN THAT RULES OVER EVERYBODY AND THE AFFAIRS OF THE PEOPLE …. I THINK THAT is why AMERICA IS to begin with to GET A FREEDOM NONE HAD> because OF KINGS AND QUEENS and ROYALTY .. and who had all THE ROYALTIES OF THE KINGDOM ????????? THE KINGS AND QUEENS> NOT the PEOPLE….
    WANT TO GO BACK TO KINGS AND QUEENS AND DICTATORSHIPS OF ROYALTY??????? instead of A GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE BY OUR VOTEING FOR OUR CHOICES ???? FOR WHO IS GOING TO WORK FOR US ????????? THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA > ANYMORE THEN A UNIVERSAL GOVERNMENT THAT WILL RUN EVERYBODY NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE.AS LONG AS YOU do as THEY SAY worship as they say and live the way they say. THINK ABOUT IT. WHO IS THE THEY????????? I AM TALKING ABOUT?????? IF YOU do not know YOU have not been watching what is going on all around the world today?? BEGINNING before the TWIN TOWERS CAME DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FOX NEWS had a PROGRAM ON LAST NIGHT and ONE ABOUT A MONTH AGO that NO ONE ELSE would RUN.. MORE should be listening to FOX NEWS when they show what others refuse to show the AMERICAN PEOPLE. PBS would not and NETWORKS would not. BUT THANK GOD FOX NEW HAS AND will .

PROGRAMS ARE OUT THERE but THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT ALWAYS GOING TO SPREAD THE WORD YOU HAVE TO SEEK WHAT YOU NEED AND FIND OUT WHAT IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU.
    MY sister for years never new about the CIRCUIT BREAKER because they were never told about it by anyone after RETIREMENT. WHY??? because OUR GOVERNMENT IS LAX ON letting people know about what they can get ajnd is available. SOME really do need to take responsibility to seek what they need. INSTEAD OF DEPENDING ON GOVERNMENT TO DO IT ALL FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO WE as AMERICANS and a PEOPLE WANT TO LOOSE OUR RIGHT S JUST SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN TELL US what to do ?? I do not think so I would hope not anyway.. BETTER WAKE UP FOLKS!!! I am for standing behind my WORKERS that are working to make us all free but I am not willing to sit back and let my Government take over my life either.

TELL YOU what Pet… YOU tell our Government to pull all our trioops out of the Middle East Today or you will not vote for anyof them the next election DO YOU REALLY think and believe they care about this . NO BECAUSE YOU ONE LITTLE VOTE to ONE MAN means nothing at all to that one man .. YOU WANT OUR WAR ON TERROR TO end. TELL YOU How to do this. CALL UP THE PRESIDENT and tell HIM TO MAKE A DEAL with the ISLAMICS that they can RULE THE WORLD and we will CHANGE from being a CHRISTIAN GOSPEL GOD FEARING PEOPLE BELIVERS IN CHRIST JESUS and we will INSTEAD LIVE BY THEIR RULES THEIR QUARAN AND THEIR MOHAMMAND TEACHING OF THE QUARAN THAT TEACHES HATRED FOR FREEDOM PEOPLES AND JEWS AND WANTS TO RULE US ALL > how does that sound to you PET and how about the rest of all you people that have absolutely no idae how close we are to becoming a world OF ISLAMIC TEACHIMNG BY THE UNITED NATIONS AND OTHERS THAT believe that the QUARAN IS THE ONLY WORD, GOD, AND BOOK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT FATHER OF ALL CREATION TO believe in >> CALLED QAURAN…… OF ISLAM THE EGYPTIAN ARABIAN BELIEF OF MOHAMMANED. AND NOT OF CHRIST JESUS OF THE GOSPEL …
    YOU believe I do not understand what the TERRORIST WE ARE FIGHTING ARE> I DO AND SO DOES OUR PRESIDENT BUSH >> sometimes I believe HE AND I ARE the ONLY ONES THAT UNDERSTAND the WAR WE ARE IN THIS DAY.
    ARE ALL MUSLIMS HATERS OF AMERICANS and JEWS NO!!!! because ARABS EGYPTIANS HAVE LIVED with the JEWS AND KNOW AS they DO> what the TRUTH IS..

What rights? To get sick and die?