Bible Study part 1

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on August 16th, 2008

Please keep all posts to on topic.  This board is for the study of the Bible, if you want post about another subject please do so on the Free Fire Zone board.

Click on video to start it.

When it comes to passing judgments we all are subjected to first impressions, the question is how do we keep from letting them control us?

Why does Jesus say not to judge?

When it comes to first impressions I think that is like temptations, we all have them and the key is what we do with them. The Police officer was doing his job, but what we didn't see was how he acted on his first impression. Was he polite in his investigation? Did believe the father? I think that a lot of Christians make up their minds with almost no real investigation. I wonder how many lives have been ruined by our overtly judgmental attitudes.

There is a payback element to this; “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged” If we don't want others to jump to conclusions about us then we shouldn't jump to conclusions about other people.
    The video asked how do we avoid having these types of first impressions, well, I think the answer is to abide in Christ. When we have any type of thoughts about others, we need to turn them over to Jesus. It's not easy, but if we don't those thoughts will just fester until we act or think in a very unchristian way.

Grandma Bee said one thing that might be overlooked; she said “a lot of Christians make up their minds with almost no real investigation.” It's that 'real investigation' part that sparked my thought process. Sometimes we need to use some discernment; example is a babysitter. There are some people that we wouldn't want to leave our kids with. I'm not saying to act on our first impression, but to use them to do a little investigation. With the internet it can be a lot easier, we can Google the person's name and see if there is any police reports that would say that the person was unfit to be alone with our kids.
    I know that this probably isn't what you wanted to have posted, but we can't be like sheep blindly going off to be slaughtered. I guess the way to avoid violating the passage would be to do the investigating before ever seeing the babysitter and to investigate every babysitter. That way we wouldn't be judging.

Zech is right, it is always easier to look at other people than ourselves. I think this is what the Devil uses against Christians more than anything. We are faced with a dilemma; we live in a world that requires making judgments without being judgmental. We make choices as far as to who to trust and what to do in life. That is different from condemning others. It helps to look at the wording of Luke 6: 37

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

It's not just judging, it's also condemning others and not being willing to forgive. I think a lot of this has to do with how we react to other people.

I think that the type of judging that Jesus is talking about is how someone looks at a Black man with a white woman, or a woman with a tattoo. I've heard a lot of guys say that a woman with them is easy, but how do they know? I think that the type of judging that Jesus was talking about is those quick uninformed opinions based on nothing and an unwillingness to change that opinion. I think it is the writing off of other people with an arrogant refusal to forgive anything that they might have done wrong. Well, that's what I think.

Yes WE can just forget about finding any guilty of Murder theift and the Like right Next time someone is found to have murdered their kyds Just say oh this is ok after all we are not to judge you for t your charachter of Murdering your children OF COURSE NOT> this would defintily be against what thus the LORD HATH HAD written about MURDERING INNOCENT CHILDREN BY their own PARENTS or a RELATIVE That wants to hide their crime . SURE JAILS COURTS and POLICEman we have no more use for after all we now have none that do such things ever anymore.
    GONE AGAIN same old same old Closed ears mind and IT is all about LOVE AND forget JUDGMENTS for even the wickedness that abounds TODAY .. STILL NO TRUTH being told I see.

What people don't think about is how judging others will change us. If we always are thinking the worst of people we ourselves start to change. We become worse, we become cynical and mistrusting. I've seen many people as they aged become the type of people that they distasted as youths. I made up my mind years ago that I wasn't going to let that happen to me. I think the secret is prayer and the word of God.

I think that was what Jesus was getting at when He said “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.” Mt. 7:6 When we condemn others we damage ourselves, we throw our sacred souls to pigs. We also place ourselves as Judge instead of God, we put ourselves in God's place and that will bring destruction on us.

How are “we throwing our sacred souls to pigs?”