Hate Kills

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on February 22nd, 2009

Author: Marty Martorella

You must not hate your fellow citizen in your heart.*

In my time on the internet I have seen all types of posts and blogs. On an occasion there has been individuals who would let their passions run to the point of hatred. I have never been a fan of Mr. Bush, at the same time I never wished any harm upon him. Those few posters who harbored hate were too few and small without any public voice. I never saw anyone with a voice in the media wishing him harm. This makes it so disturbing that those in the conservative media would wish harm to President Obama.

The owner of the Fox Network Rupert Murdoch, also owns the New York Post which ran this cartoon.

Rev. Al Sharpton had this to say about the cartoon:

“The cartoon in the New York Post is troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys. One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual reference to this when in the cartoon they have police saying after shooting a chimpanzee that “Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill.”

“Being that the stimulus bill has been the first legislative victory of President Barack Obama (the first African American president) and has become synonymous with him it is not a reach to wonder are they inferring that a monkey wrote the last bill?”

The cartoonist Sean Delonas has been known for his racism and bigotry, so it is difficult to believe that he meant no racial insult with the cartoon. What should be alarming to everyone is the thought of assassination, which is the real implication of the cartoon. The projecting of this type of hatred violates everything that this Nation was founded on. It is such hateful propaganda which has lead to the shooting at Liberal Churches and of Democratic officials.

All over the AM dial there are the promoters of hate. They make their living inciting the loathing of other Americans. Even though all Republicans do not support the doctrine of hate many in their leadership do and use it to possess power. This is even true of some who claim to represent Christ and ignore His teaching.

You have heard that it was said to our ancestors, Do not murder, and whoever murders will be subject to judgment. But I tell you, everyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Fool!' will be subject to the Sanhedrin. [A high court] But whoever says, 'You moron!' will be subject to hellfire. Matthew 5:21-22 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15 (New American Standard Bible)

The reason hate should be avoided at all costs is that it destroys everything that it touches. If you are a person of faith, it will demolish your faith. For a patriotic American a heart full of hate will obliterate every portion of the Constitution. What you will be left with is weaken imitation of what you once loved. Those who profit off of hate do so from deception as they would have us believe that anyone who disagrees with them is the enemy. This is how they can joke about assignation without any remorse, their souls were among the first that they deceived.

Does anyone say he is in the light, and hates his brother? Then he is still in the dark. . .the man who hates his brother is in the dark. He lives in the dark. He does not know where he is going, because the darkness has made him blind. 1 John 2:9&11 (Worldwide English)

On the 19th the Post gave a half-hearted apology which was full of more denial than taking responsibility for feeding the beast of hatred. If the cartoonist had not been known for racist drawings one might believe the spin.

It was meant to mock an ineptly written federal stimulus bill. Period. But it has been taken as something else – as a depiction of President Obama, as a thinly veiled expression of racism. This most certainly was not its intent; to those who were offended by the image, we apologize.

What the Post is missing is that this goes beyond racism alone. To suggest that assassination of anyone with an opposite opinion is the worst type of hatred as it multiplies. Hatred will destroy all that it touches and this is why the Bible condemns it. Denial is not the answer, nor is a half-hearted apology which is only designed to silence opposition. As a race, that is as Human race we must learn to respect those we passionately disagree with. We must rely on the rightness of our cause rather than on manipulating emotions to the point of irrationality.

*Leviticus 19:17 (New Century Version)

Rupert Murdoch …
    I don't think hates Obama personally. But he is an evil man anyway, because he feeds hate, for a profit. Even worse was the Fox program where they got a nut case to rave about various scenarios for Confederate secession and resumption of the Civil War against the Federal government (and all colored people by implication, Blacks and Mexicans) under the guise of free speech. That is called sedition, and makes the so called treason of Democrats against the psycho Iraq war, look like child's play. As Jesus and Lincoln said, a house divided against itself cannot stand .. so I guess the US is oh so dead.
    Shalom

We may be drifting into something possibly best described as a cold civil war. I hope we can avert it.

I was more bothered by the New Yorker cover which was more clearly mocking Obama. Sounds like the paper should have known the controversies about this particular cartoonist. I would not have run it myself because it's tasteless and not funny, but when looking at it, I probably would not have made the same connection as Rev. Sharpton here. I would have thought of the news story about the cops and the chimpanzee and the old saying “Who wrote that? A bunch of monkeys?” which I used to hear a lot. I don't personally look at chimps and think Obama or “black man.” If other people do, I really feel sorry for them. There are several reasons not to run that cartoon even without being able to tell for sure if it was intended to be racist. It's as you say, making a joke about shooting people whose political views are different from your own, and it's just not funny, nor does it make any particularly useful point about the stimulus.
    The US is historically a free speech nation. There are few exceptions. One is advocating the violent overthrow of the US govt. If someone can provide enough evidence the cartoonist intended that, then certainly the courts should decide the matter. Some hate speech is also illegal. Again, the courts can decide whether it was hate speech. Other than that, it is not illegal to be offensive or even a racist. You have to do more for it to be illegal. Allowing things we do not like is the price of ensuring that we all have our right to say what we think.
    As for the rest of your post, I agree that we need to let go of hate. Hate does kill, and specifically our tendency to tribalize largely drives our propensity as a species to violent conflict.
    I have, by the way, seen plenty of posts by the left during the last administration, which called for Bush to be assassinated, or tried and executed as a war criminal, and more. I am a political moderate, so maybe I am more likely to get upset no matter who is doing it than most people are. Both wings have escalated the violent speech in recent years. It distresses me deeply, but I honestly cannot say that violent or angry speech is limited to the right. If you think so, you have been very selective in your blog reading, I think.

We have been in a cold civil war from 1865. Where have you been? It was hot from 1860 – 1865. We had a cold civil war before that going back to 1787. In California you know that the N part wants to secede from the S part.
    A new hot civil war won't be fought by Civil War re-enactors shooting muskets without bullets at each other, but with nuclear weapons!
    If a state does secede, then it is 50-50 if war occurs. If not war, then the US breaks up like the USSR did. And for the same reasons; gross political, economic and military mismanagement.
    The problem is, the state and local governments are even more corrupt than the national government is. And people who won't abide by an election if their candidate doesn't win (which is what happened in 1860) don't deserve to be citizens of any country.
    Shalom

I have heard that 20 states now have secession movements. That isn't free speech, that is real treason. Probably including Oklahoma where I live.
    Shalom

“I have, by the way, seen plenty of posts by the left during the last administration, which called for Bush to be assassinated”

I've been all over the internet and haven't seen one of those posts that you are talking about and even if someone did make a post like that, it's not even close to a media outlet that reaches hundred's of thousands maybe even millions of people.

It's quite a bit more complicated.

Only if you have the rule of law which we know the Confederates won't abide! And yes, New England wanted to secede during the lead up to the War of 1812, and during abolitionist agitation in the 1850s. The South beat them to it.
    Shalom

Speech is speech until it becomes action entities like federal governments and fascist religious empires are only necessary when people can't or won't manage/control themselves at the individual level and when tribes can't or won't peacefully coexist.
    I think human beings would exist better in smaller autonomous tribal kingdoms that peacefully coexist despite the different ways of life each community develops. I don't think people today are qualified for that yet.

Your first paragraph describes all of history and your second paragraph justifies apartheid and bantustans … with of course the WASP folks getting the best land and stuff 😉
    Shalom

Sounds like the paper should have known the controversies about this particular cartoonist. I would not have run it myself because it's tasteless and not funny, but when looking at it, I probably would not have made the same connection as Rev. Sharpton here. I would have thought of the news story about the cops and the chimpanzee 1z0-007 exam and the old saying “Who wrote that? A bunch of monkeys?” which I used to hear a lot. I don't personally look at chimps and think Obama or “black man.” If other people do, I really feel sorry for them. There are several reasons not to run that cartoon even without being able to tell for sure if it was intended to be racist. It's as 650-575 exam you say, making a joke about shooting people whose political views are different from your own, and it's just not funny, nor does it make any particularly useful point about the stimulus. The US is historically a free speech nation. There are few exceptions. One is advocating the violent overthrow of the US govt. If someone 642-105 exam can provide enough evidence the cartoonist intended that, then certainly the courts should decide the matter.

People often protest that they are no racist when everything they say about a certain group of people sounds racist. I think that the confusion between racism and making racially insensitive remarks is what throws some off. Someone might not be a racist and still say stupid things because of being racially insensitive. Yes, I talking that old PC thing that Cons love to ridicule. What it comes down to is some talk about things and places which they have no knowledge of. I just heard a couple of fellows trashing Pakistan, but when I asked if they had ever been there, the answer was no. They didn't even know anyone from Pakistan, now that wouldn't be racism but it would be culturally insensitive. Looking at this picture of Islamabad anyone would think it was of an American city.

So true, a lot of bigotry could be overcome if people would recognize how similar we all are instead of looking at the differences.