Beatitudes ~ Part one

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on July 8th, 2009

I've been waiting for this for a while and now I see it was worth the wait. This is what Luke 6 says:

17He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, 18who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil[a] spirits were cured, 19and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.
    20Looking at his disciples, he said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
    21Blessed are you who hunger now,
    for you will be satisfied.
    Blessed are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
    22Blessed are you when men hate you,
    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.
    23″Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
    24″But woe to you who are rich,
    for you have already received your comfort.
    25Woe to you who are well fed now,
    for you will go hungry.
    Woe to you who laugh now,
    for you will mourn and weep.
    26Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
    for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.

The video was really good and made me think just how good I have it. It's so easy to complain without counting our blessings.

A lot of people try to change the meaning of scripture, there are those who preach and think that being rich is a sign of God's blessing and the reverse. If only it was true that bad things only happen to bad people, but it's just not so. The video brought out a good point, the reason that Jesus was saying this about the poor is that out of necessity they have learned to trust in God. Those with wealth tend to trust in that wealth, in themselves and rarely in the Lord.

I think that some want to justify being wrong, whatever that wrong is. If it's sexual, they say things like 'it's only natural or nature, or even worse, 'It's how God made me.' If someone is greedy and selfish they will say, that all that they have is a gift from God and that way resolve any guilt about how they got the wealth or any compulsion to share it with the less fortunate.

I loved the video, I don't think that there is anything wrong with being rich in it's self. A lot of wealthy people use their money for good and that passage about the love of money could apply to someone without any too. I know that Jesus said that it's easier for a camel to go though an eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to Heaven, but Jesus didn't say it was impossible.

This is the first time that I watched that video, you're right about it being touching. What I would like to know is why it is ok to hate the rich? I don't think that jealousy has any place in a Christian's heart and that's what I see; people who are too lazy to work hard and want handouts. If they really wanted to be rich then they wouldn't be poor. Not to worry, here comes those compassionate Lefties to the rescue. They will tax the rich until they are poor too and then who will provide the jobs that lift people out of poverty?

People want paradise here on Earth and forget that there is a reason for our suffering in this life. I like how AndraƩ Crouch put it in his song 'Through It All.'

Verse 1
    I've had many tears and sorrows,
    I've had questions for tomorrow,
    there's been times I didn't know right from wrong.
    But in every situation,
    God gave me blessed consulation,
    that my trials come to only make me strong.
    Chorus
    Through it all,
    through it all,
    I've learned to trust in Jesus,
    I've learned to trust in God.
    Through it all,
    through it all,
    I've learned to depend upon His Word.
    Verse 2
    I've been to lots of places,
    I've seen a lot of faces,
    there's been times I felt so all alone.
    But in my lonely hours,
    yes, those precious lonely hours,
    Jesus lets me know that I was His own
    Chorus
    Verse 3
    I thank God for the mountains,
    and I thank Him for the valleys,
    I thank Him for the storms He brought me through.
    For if I'd never had a problem,
    I wouldn't know God could solve them,
    I'd never know what faith in God could do.

God wants us to put our full trust in Him, not in money or power or governments or even other people. The world wants to fool people and keep them from trusting in God for everything.

For me, that is the lesson that I have taken from this, we need to put our trust in the Lord. The thing is that if we trust in our own abilities and wealth, God has a way of showing us just how vulnerable that we are. This is way it is so important to constantly be going to the Lord with a surrendered heart. I have gone though real hardship in my past, which many would count as regrettable experiences, but not me for they taught me that the Lord will never let me down. I know what ever should come my way Jesus will be there to take me through and provide for my every need. The thought of being rich is very attractive, but if it meant losing the closeness to the Lord I would indeed feel impoverished.

Nicely said Marty, too many people think only of what they can get in this world and forget that all of this will be gone in a blink of an eye. All the wealth that we have accumulated will be gone and what will we have left as we leave this world? What we will have left is what we have become. If in gathering all that money we have stepped on others, hurt the needed, babied ourselves at the cost of others then we will face the Lord as the indigent, but if we have given of ourselves in trust of the Lord then we shall truly be rich.

This is not an easy lesson to learn, but it is one of the most important ones. For I see all the things (good things) which I do not have and want, some times it is hard to accept what we cannot have. For me the answer is prayer, a surrendered heart will find that it has far more than it previously thought.

I think that a lot of us have trouble living within our means, I try to avoid going into debt as much as I can.

Selfishness blinds people into thinking that all that matters is getting more toys. I'm sure that you have seen the bumper sticker that reads “He who dies with the most toys wins.” For most people think that the reward is in getting, when it really is in giving.

(Acts 20:35 NIV) In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'”

I think that you can break down all the evil in this world to that word, Selfishness.