Praying for our Leaders – Judge denies atheist's lawsuit to prevent prayer at Bush inauguration

Written by Marty on January 17th, 2005

I am a firm believer in the separation of the Church and State, for it is a dangerous situation to allow either to govern the other. With that said, there are those who take this separation to extreme ends. Michael Newdow, an atheist who tried to bar the saying of a Christian prayer at Mr. Bush's inauguration has lost this bid. Click here for the full story.

Newdow argued that saying a Christian prayer at the January 20 ceremony would violate the Constitution by forcing him to accept unwanted religious beliefs.

If hearing did bring instant conversion then it would only follow logic that hearing an atheist would make us all atheists. We would all have to walk around with earplugs less our minds be so easily changed. Now, there might be an argument to be made about school prayers, but not in this case.

The truth is that I am not a supporter of Mr. Bush, which means he is more in my prayers than not. I pray that God will be able to get through to him and place a compassionate heart in him. Whether we are of the same party of any given President should not determine if we pray for him. I know for many this is a touchy subject, but we must not confined God to any political persuasion.

This is my prayer from Mr. Bush, “Lord, I pray that you will guild George W. Bush. Help him to work to the benefit of all the American people and not just the wealthy. Please, give him the wisdom that surpasses his own, help him to bring peace to the world. We all pray dear Lord, that all those in need will be helped. In the name of our precious Savior, Amen.

Good article, Mr. Newdow's actions only help those who want to incorrectly categorize the Democratic Party as a non Christian party. I agree with you that God isn't confined to either Party.

How about a prayer from everyone religion in the country? After all the whole thing is going to last 4 days, so what is a few more minutes and Bush can use all the prayers he can get!

It didn't violate the separation of Church and State, which isn't in the Constitution BTW. It just shows how ungodly the left has become! We need to return to the Christian values that the country was founded on. It is time to stop the Bush bashing and support the President.

Who is bashing Bush? If anyone is ungodly it is those who are misusing Him!

What is wrong with having a prayer at the inauguration? I think that is is Bush bashing to call the President the anti-Christ, another Hitler or a drunken deserter.
    I'm glad to see that some people who didn't vote for the President are still praying for him.

art

I'm all for the prayers at the inauguration, but if they really want God's blessings they would take most of the millions that is planed for the inauguration and give it to the poor, or maybe the vitims of the Tsunami, hey how about giving the money to the troops and their families?

The picture isn't very funny, but I do agree that the money could be better spent. I guess they just got carried away, it is pretty special.

So how do you guys feel now that Bush is inaugurated?