Why War?

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on November 11th, 2005

Author: Marty Martorella

When Mr. Bush first claimed that we had to invade Iraq we were told that Saddam still had WMD. There were attempts to link Iraq to 9/11 and Hussein to Al-Qaida. We now know that neither where true. We also have found out that the evidence was being manipulated by the White House. One must ask what was the real reason for invading Iraq, was it oil as so many think?

Some have said that the sanctions were about to be lifted off of Iraq and Hussein was ready to flood the market with oil which would have restricted the profits of the oil companies. While others feared that was only part of the problem for they believed that Hussein would have use the money from the oil sales to excise revenge for the years of the sanctions and the first war by sponsoring terrorism. Obviously we do not know what he would have done if he had a free hand.

We know that Hussein was reported to have been making demands that he be paid in Euros instead of dollars which if other nation were to follow would have devastated our economy to a point perhaps worse than the Great Depression. This may have been the revenge that Saddam was seeking. The question that should follow is if this was the reason for invading, was it worth the loss of so many lives on both sides?

Some try to use the argument that Hussein was a bad man which no one would argue against, but if we are to go after all bad men shouldn’t we start in the boardrooms of these multi-national corporations? If in fact the real reason for the war was to bring freedom, one would think that freedom would be the goal economically for all people. What we saw was a restriction of civil liberties under our control. News papers were not allowed to publish anti-American articles, radio stations were shut down and religious intolerance was growing. If freedom was the goal, one must ask whose freedom are we talking about? Was it the freedom of companies like Halliburton and Bechtel to make as much money as they wished? As we pay tribute to our Veterans let us not forget to ask why they had to fight and in many cases die.

I heard that Saddam was working with Osama and even if he wasn't he would have used all that oil money to make 9/11 look like nothing! President Bush saved all of our lives and we should show him the respect that he deserves! I thank God for him everyday! I just hope that he can have a 3 term.

Earth to Carolyn, there is no proof that Saddam would ever pose a future threat. However Usama still does and Mr. Bush abandoned the real war on terrorism to invade Iraq. Over 100,000 innocent Iraqis and 2000 Americans have died for what? Terrorism is on the increase Usama is still on the run and we all set in danger.

I am a wake and think that President Bush is doing a great job, the liberal media just doesn't want to give us the real facts.

What liberal media blondie? Tell me what is being left out.

by blondiegoin

I have to disagree with you on the first thing Saddam and Osama were enemies and would never have worked together. What liberals miss is that there are many things that the government cannot tell us. If the President felt that he had to take Saddam down he had to have some good reasons for it. Those reasons maybe classified and we won't see it for years, but when we do I'm sure that everyone will agree that President Bush was right. I think 1 & 3 must be the reasons Hussein would have used the money from the oil sales to sponsor terrorism; he had already done it in the past. I have also heard that he wanted to cripple the US by getting the world to switch to the Euros instead of dollars. It might not be popular to say but the many lives would have been lost if that had happened. I feel sorry that so many have died but I do feel it was necessary. It would be nice if Bush could have a third term to enjoy what he has been fighting for, but I don't think it will happen.

Good points, we need to trust the President of the United States!

Okay Pet, the government might not be able to tell the general public all the facts, but that is why we have the checks and balances in the government. The executive branch doesn't act independent to the congressional branch, which means the White House owes Congress the answers. It can't just be an elefant dance.

Jess, I love the dancing elephant, do you have a donkey? That would be cool. About what you said about the checks that is right, but as I remember it the White House gave all the information to the Congress. So I think this is just the blame game again, because all the Dems voted to go to war too and they wouldn

Who said that congress had the same info that Bush saw? It just wasn't so!

Congress saw everything that the President saw.

The elephant is cute, but it

Give me a brake Pet, the Democratic Party hasn't been in power for years. When they were there never was the corruption to the level that the Republicans are operating under. Why don't you start by telling us why we're in Iraq?

You said a mouth full, Donna, it's easier to believe in Santa than in the Republican Party right now.