Marijuana

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on March 7th, 2006

Author: Marty Martorella

The Prince of Pot

The video clip is from 60 minutes story about the Prince of Pot, Marc Emery. Mr. Emery has raised the ire of the United State’s DEA.

Marc Emery, the leader of the B.C. Marijuana Party and self-described “Prince of Pot” has been arrested in Halifax. At the same time as Halifax RCMP were taking Emery into custody, several Vancouver police officers raided Emery's West Hastings Street marijuana seed and paraphernalia store. The raid was done on behalf of the American government. Link

I cannot help but wonder how much money has been wasted on the prosecution of this seller of seeds. Our country is besieged with the meth epidemic where thousands perhaps millions of our citizens are enslaved to the drug. Marijuana does have its health problems as does tobacco and alcohol, but it is not destroying lives as meth is doing. Just so no one can misinterpret what I am saying, I am not advocating the legalization or the ignoring of serious drug crimes. I simply do not think this seed dealer rises to the level that the DEA has placed it. I would like to hear your opinions on the video clip.

What you're missing is that all those seeds translate into millions of pounds of pot. Marijuana is the gateway drug that can lead to the meth epidemic that you were talking about. I think that answer is to make it easier to prosecute these criminals not to let them run free. This Marc Emery could've saved himself all this grief if he had only sold his seeds to Canadians. If he can't do the time then he shouldn't have done the crime, or at least not in America.

I like this site, there's a sense of civility that you just don't see on other message boards. Because of that I try to avoid insulting anyone and follow the rules. I say this because I know that someone is going to get insulted over I'm about to say.
    When I think of liberals I can't help myself from also thinking of pot smoking hippies. Maybe that's because of the free love of the 60s and those PSHs walked hand in hand with liberals. I'm not stupid, I know that there are plenty of Conservatives who use drugs, but if we could tell what percentage are users I would think that maybe 10% of Conservatives use drugs and 70% of liberals do.
    This Mark Emery is attacking America by selling all these seed to grow pot. Who is he selling them to? Could terrorist be using this to pay for their terrorism? I just think that President Bush is doing a great job and will win the war on drugs just like he's winning the war on terrorism. We should trust him more.

Carolyn that is hardly fair as the drug problem knows no political identity. All you have to do is look at the problems that Rush Limbaugh is having to see that it is equally hitting all Americans. Do you think that we should just give up on the war on drugs? Do you agree with going after this seed dealer?

Why can’t we leave politics out of this? Drug use is not a political thing. There is no basis of fact for your statement that you think that 10% conservatives are drug users and 70% of liberals are? Is this what you would like to believe since conservatives have been trying to demonize liberals and make them the lesser people? Kind of reminiscent of Hitler’s master race theory, the blond, blue eyed Aryans were the master race and all others, especially Jews and Poles were the Superuntermensch, or lesser people, almost subhuman. What it boils down to is that many conservatives use liberal as a derogatory name for those that disagree with them. Just because we disagree on some things doesn’t make me a liberal any more than it makes you a conservative. I think if we would all examine both words and their meanings in details, we would find there are a lot of misconceptions about what both words mean.
    I am not bothered so much by political accusations as I am the misconception that only conservatives are Christian, or at least are the majority, and liberals are the Godless atheists, which you know is not true. Christianity is not a numbers game, and this too, is no place for politics. All are equal before God. The ultimate test is not whether you were a good conservative or liberal, but what kind of Christian you were>

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be insulting but I can't see conservatives as flower children of the 60s. Yes the 10% thing I pulled out of the air, it was just my opinion. An opinion that I'm sure is right, but I don't think that all liberals are on dope or that all conservatives are clean. I know that some conservatives want to legalize all drugs but they are the exceptions that are reversed on the other side.
    Why do you guys always bring up Hitler? I never said that liberals were bad people, if I thought that way I wouldn't be posting here. I like this site because of the civil nature of it. Most of the internet is full of hate; I don't hate you guys and don't want to be hateful. One more thing, “no place for politics” good grief, look at all the political post on this site. We all have political opinions.

No that is a bit much but he is breaking our laws right? How is he different than a
    Columbian smuggling in the grown thing? We have to start somewhere you know.

I think it just might surprise you that those flower power children of the 60's did become the corporate leaders in the 70's and 80's, and are now the baby boomers that are putting all the strain on our social security system. Did you actually experience the “hip” generation, or have you only read about it? Although not a part of the movement, I was there and saw it.
    As they became more affluent, their drugs of choice changed from pot to coke, and in other cases, (money talks, you know) prescription drugs for those controlled substances, oxycotton for example. The pendulum is constantly swinging from right to left and back.
    I don't understand how you can say you just pulled the 10% figure out of the air and then say you are sure you are right. I'll say again that drug usage follows no political boundaries, and that most anyone is susceptible to becoming hooked. You seem to paint a picture that conservatives are nearly lily white, while liberals are a bunch of no good crack heads.
    I too, am sorry that politics has reared its ugly head, and hope it does not become a controlling factor or a basis for discussion here. I'm here perhaps for the same reasons you are. Some of the message boards have fallen so deep into the morass of poor taste and an idiocy that they are disgusting.

It's just silly to say one side is clean the other is dirty. Today we see all the dirt of the Republicans but that's because they're the ones in front and in charge of everything. I know that when the Democrats regain power that some of them will be caught too. Power corrupts and I think drugs goes along the same lines.

I hold firm to the belief that the war on drugs has been lost. This is an excerpt from an article in Wikipedia:
    The Congressional Research Service of the Library of Congress noted in a 1989 report that the nation's war on drugs could be considered to have started in public policy dating to November 1880, when the U.S. and China completed an agreement which prohibited the shipment of opium between the two countries. By February 1887, the 49th Congress enacted legislation making it a misdemeanor for anyone on American soil to be found guilty of violating this ban.
    Around the turn of the 20th century, a perception of widespread abuse of cocaine caused policy-makers in the U.S. to consider drug abuse a serious social problem rather than as cases of personal failures.
    So the United States has had an official position for over 100 years. Does anyone believe we are any closer to solving the problem now? If there was some way to remove the greed and money factor from it, possibly it could be slowed down.
    In considering a war on drugs, we need to look at all facets. Alcohol is a drug, but is also legal and socially acceptable. So is tobacco. Although I don’t have any figures, I suspect that those two have an economic impact as great as those so called “hard” drugs.
    The difference is that those industries are responsible tax paying companies.
    No, I’m not trying to make a case for legalizing drugs, but would seek ways to eliminate the incentive for growing, manufacturing, and distributing them. I don’t know what that would be, since some Middle Eastern countries already have pretty stiff penalties for involvement in the drug trade; up to and including the death penalty. Apparently the risk is worth the potential gain.
    Another government study? A new Drug Czar? I don’t think so. Sorry, I can point out the problem, but like so many more, don’t have a solution. Maybe there’s not one to be found.

I do not know if it is lost, but the way we are fighting it is a failure. As it has already been said, both parties share in the blame. I do think that winning the war is a noble cause as so many are enslaved to drugs, but I want to help those people not make their lives worse. I do think that we should remove the legal penalties for the users. (Dealers and producers are another thing!)

I believe that though a combination of education, a strong economy, and rehabilitation that is more than a short section we could do much to reduce the problem. I know that many would feel that this is an intrusion into other American’s lives, but I believe this would fall in the category of, “promote the general welfare” in the Constitution. If this was done without the threat of jail time it could be for the common good.

I know I am coming at this from my own bias opinions, so I do not expect others to agree. For me, I would not be bothered if both alcohol and tobacco were illegalized, but that is a product of the holiness movement. The trick is to balance helping others without imposing our religious believes on them. I guess the question should be asked why people do use drugs and what would be the best ways to stop them.

I will end by asking one little trivia question as to history, do you know what country when to war because another country was trying to stop them from selling opium?

Marty, I believe that country was Great Britain, and it would have been the Opium wars of the 1800's
    Click here

You are right and that fact is amazing, capitalism at it’s best. Just goes to show you that when there is a buck to be made morality goes out the window.

What are we going to do when the whole country is hooked on drugs? We have to stop it some how and maybe this seed guy is a good wake up call to the rest of the dealers. Stop or go to jail!

I don’t mean to sound in favor of illegal drugs, because I’m not, but what are/have we done about alcohol and tobacco? Why are they socially acceptable and Marijuana, cocaine and crack, et.al., are not? A little hypocritical, is it not?
    What kinds of problems do other Western countries have with illegal drugs, and what are they doing? I have read that China has a problem with cigarette addiction, and guess what? We export a lot of tobacco to China.

I have a problem with that because the illegalization of marijuana puts power into the hands of the drug dealers. In fact, it brings in many people because our current generation is getting overtaxed and working in unfulfilling positions because our current monetary system of debt enslavement. Our past generation has enslaved our current generation in economic terms. If economic liberty is lost, it is only a matter of time until all civil liberties are also lost. This current trend is VERY dangerous and needs to be shifted into the opposite direction. We need to have the faith that if we as individuals have the freedom to do whatever we want, we will be given the chance to stand up as a shining example of what a drug free life can produce. We need to have the understanding that freedom consists of making wrong choices as well as right ones. Illegalizing drugs only makes the (income tax free) distribution of these substances very profitable and incapable of being regulated out of the hands of younger teens. It is much more difficult for teens to purchase alcohol becasue there is not enough profit to distribute it in the underage black market. Marijuana, as well as meth, is readily available to anyone with money. Also, aderol, a legal prescription drug used for ADHD treatment is just a pure form of methamphetamine and is widely distributed to any child desiring such prescriptions. Everything is backwards, it is un-constitutional and should be left to the states to choose and not some buearucratic autocracy taking away liberties from people who are afflicted with addiction and sickness. Far from that, there is wide-spread rumblings of CIA involvement in major drug trafficking as well as FDA involvement in pharmacuetical companies research and production. God has given us the choice to choose him or reject him, but he gave us a choice. God does not punish us, we allow Satan to bind and enslave us. There are many more factors involved. Be kind and loving to your enemies, heal the sick, give hope to all. People on drugs need hope and love not jail.

Too late. The whole country is already addicted to drugs becasue drugs are the American way of life. 50% of all the pharmacuetical drugs that are produced are given to livestock. “In current agricultural practice, raising animals for food depends heavily on the use of pharmacologically active compounds: drugs. The use of drugs in food animals is fundamental to animal health and well-being and to the economics of the industry. However, drug use also is associated with human health effects. ” Every time you go to McDonald's, the very food you are eating contains drug residues which do affect your body. Until we ourselves get the logs out of our own eyes, only then can we get the splinter out of our brother's eyes. Only people who eat organic meats and stay away from all modern stimulants including sugar (which is a substance that dramatically affects your mood and health) can realistically be in a position of truly “BEING DRUG FREE”. Sorry, if you eat out all the time, even at restaurants, you are consuming drugs. The game is deeper than one cares to look. Jesus gave us power. He called us the sons of the most high God. We have the power to change the world and bathe the earth in the glory of the Lord through cooperation with him. It is his desire everyone be saved and the only one who can change that is you. We can create an amazing generation. Even just one individual. God is big.
    True understanding brings love not imprisonment.

“I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these” (Jn.14:12)
    “When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Lk.9:1-2).

Hi, I sure hope that the next time you post that you will put a name in the space above where you can put a URL. It just makes it easier to keep track of who I'm talking to. Personally, I don't think that it's a sin to smoke pot, so long as you don't do it all the time. You make a good argument for legalization, but I don't really see it happening in our life time. I think that those people who are so against it being legal should answer the question why people turn to it or any drug.

Why is it that every Democrat that I talk to wants to legalize drugs? I don't think that legalizing them is the answer, too many people are slaves to drugs. I don't believe that a Christian should be smoking pot.

Just My Opinion on all the DRUG use speaking of UNPRESCRIPTION DRUGS. THAT are Considered ILLEGAL.
    How many believe that those DRUG USERS OF THE 60's AND those From THAT big WEEKEND OF ROCK and ROLL IN A FIELD in N.Y. WERE THOSE THT became OUR GOVERNING OFFICIALS INCLUDING the ONE person that CLAIMED BUT I NEVER INHALED.REALLY?? don't believe that. But beside the point don't ya think? FOR how many years did we have Drug users or ex drug users as THOSE running the country. and then we wonder what has happened to the last few generations… THEY MADE ALCOHOL LEGAL in and during the 20', 30's TO shut down all the Bootleggers of MoonShine AND today we have DEATH by DRUNK DRIVERS BEATEN UP CHILDREN AND WOMAN BY ALCOHOLIC DADDIES AND HUSBANDS, AND SOME THAT EVEN know no such thing as work ethic after all who can work when they drink to access all the time? YET the SCRIPTURE the WORD OF OUR LORD and SAVIOR HAS already had it written and said that a LITTLE WINE is good for the Stomach. WINE and WHISKY can be very benificial for health reasons LIQUOR is wine and whisky yet both can and does make one drunk when used to access. BEER MOONSHINE AND ALES ARE considered alcohol.
    PERSONALLY IT IS LIKE DEATH and TAXES. BAD HABITS SUCH AS DRUG ABUSE and ALCOHOL ABUSE is AQUIRED LEARNED AND ADDICTS OF BOTH ARE CHOICES OF ANYONE. YET WE SUBSIDISE these addictions BY giving them the ability to continue their habits because they most often many are given a way to live on the Publics payroll that are holding down jobs and pay taxes into SS. and Federal taxes. making the people subsidise their habit whether we like it or not. I THPUGHT THERE WS such a thing as REHAB TO help them … this then is what the MONIES should be used for. NOT TO ALLOW them to PURCHASE more of the same to PERPETUATE the HABIT OF ILLEGAL DRUGS and A HABIT OF BOOZE. YET we are a country of FREEDOMS. and SHOULD ALL be FREE TO KILL THEMSELVES BY ABUSES OF DRUGS and ALCOHOL even if it also causes DEATH to others ? Cigerretts??? OR any smoking materials Pipes Cigars snuff all not good ideas and Here in ILLINOIS and IN OTHER PLACES there is now smoking bans for some places of Business. and not well recieved by the Smokers But really liked by most non-smokers. I AM AN EX-SMOKER OF Cig. GLAD I stopped and would not start again or I would probabbly be back to a pack aday .. don't need it nor want that .
    WILL all the TERRIBLE stuff that causes pain and suffering in this life ever be gone FROM mankind? NOT ACCORDING TO the WORD OF GOD. I REALLY CANNOT ENVISION GODS EARTH AND HEAVENS be DESTROYED IN TOTALITY. AFTER ALL GOD FLOODED THE EARTH AND DESTROYED ALL BUT EIGHT LIVING OF JUST ONE FAMILY OF A MAN CALLED NOAH. GOD COULD HAVE NOT SAVED THESE,,, HE DID.
    THANK GOD ALL FAITHFUL BELIEVERS IN THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD ARE ALREADY SAVED. HIS NAME?? if you ARE A FAITHFUL BELIEVER IN THE GOSPEL THEN I NEED NOT tell you HIS NAME HUH? ALL KNOW HIM AS CHRIST THE SON OF the LIVING GOD. HAVING AN ASSURANCE and A PROMISE aleady Given.