Air America and Tabloidism?

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on June 10th, 2006

Author Grandma Bee

I've been seeing a lot about Bush in the tabloids lately. “He's a drunk”, “he's in treatment”, and “he’s getting a divorce because he's in love with Condi.” Most people have come to expect that type of thing from tabloids, but when is part of an Air America show that's another thing. For the most part the network is an excellent source of information, news, and interviews. This is why I am disappointed to hear Randi Rhodes show degenerate into this type of tabloidism.

Randi started off talking about the hypocrisy of the right. She related how they were all ready to impeach Clinton but will do nothing about Bush and Condi. Knowing what the Republicans did to Clinton over sexual misbehavior it is understandable that Randi would talk about it. What I take exception to is calling Rice a Lesbian. I didn't like it when the right said those kinds of things about Janet Reno and I really don't like hearing it from people that I respect. We have come to expect this from the likes of Rush Limbaugh, but we have a higher level of morality or should.

There is enough corruption in this administration that we don't need to focus on this tabloid stuff. Personally I don't buy or read any of the tabloids, but like everyone I see their headlines at the checkout line. I just can't take serious a paper that prints stories about two headed babies and little green men. If it is true about Bush then Christians need to be praying for him. This is one thing that the Christian Right never did for Bill Clinton. Maybe it's just me, but I have notice that there are fewer prayers from the pulpit for the President when he is a Democrat. I believe that we should pray for those in office even if we disagree with them.

I still will be listening to Randi Rhodes and Air America with the hope that there will be less of this type of tabloidism. I know that some will not be happy with me criticizing Air America, I just don’t believe in the attitude of “my party right or wrong!” If we act like that how would we be any different from the right?

The question that should be asked is how reliable are these tabloids? We have seen such sites as the Drudge Report discredited repeatedly and yet many still quote it as gospel. The media watch site Media Matters gives a sweeping report on the lack of creditability of the Drudge Report. With such popularity of sensationalism in the media one must come to question everything that is reported. It should be taken as our responsibility to research what ever is in the media. Unfortunately, most people will not look passed their own opinions.

Tabloids in the Yahoo! Directory

• Drudge Report - home to the well-known columnist.
  • Smoking Gun, The - providing documents obtained from government, law enforcement sources, and court files about the bad newsmakers.
  • National Enquirer - the latest celebrity news and gossip.
  • Weekly World News - featuring columnist Ed Anger and headlines you won't see anywhere else.
  • Star Magazine - entertainment news, celebrity features, gossip, and fashion.
  • Duncan Expose' - funny stories from the print edition.
  • Globe - official site for the tabloid providing subscription information only.
  • Celebrity Ink - Internet trash tabloid satire.
  • Planet Sun - newspapers in Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and London, Ontario owned by Sun Media Corporation.

Air America is a very good source of information; however I do choose which hosts to which I listen too. I cannot think of anyone on the right that matches their integrity. It is always a temptation to fight bad in the same way that the right does, but I do not believe in returning evil for evil.

I didn't vote for any of the tabloids listed. If you are asking for a totally reliable publication, I don't think such an animal exists, not even in the mainstream media. All of them get it right some of the time, I think we should use a little skepticism when reading or listening any of them.
      Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
      I think Grandma Bee, bless her li'l old liberal heart, is right on track. You can't always expect a newspaper that has a philosophy that runs counter to the event(s) they are reporting to always be fair and objective But grandma, with so many reports questioning the president’s competency, it’s hard to avoid them, It’s equally hard to believe that all these reports are wrong.
      Marty, maybe you could have asked for a rating of those listed on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being least reliable, and five most reliable.
      -t

I wouldn’t believe anything on Air America. I’m not surprised that they would be bashing the Secretary of State just like they bash the President. How can you even listen to them?

Grandma Bee,
      I appreciate the article that you wrote. I try to listen to both sides and read publications from both sides. I’ll admit that Air America is interesting even if some times extreme. I dislike hate speech no matter who is speaking it. I don’t like it when I hear it from Ann Coulter and I don’t like it when I hear it from Ms. Rhodes.
      It’s a pretty cruel thing to be spreading rumors about a person’s private life just because that person is on the other side of the political argument. I saw the front page of the Globe today with the disgusting story about the First Lady leave the President because of an affair with Condoleezza Rice. Personally, I don’t believe it for a minute, but I agree with you about praying for our leaders. I think too many people would rather see those in the opposing party fail than pray for them. That to me is not a good American or Christian attitude to have.

Carolyn,
      There's nothing wrong with knowing what the other side is saying. Also I would add that not all the hosts on Air America are bad.

TrendsetterA,
      I voted for the one that said that “None of them are reliable.” I don't believe everything that I read or hear. Just because someone writes it down or talks about it on a radio show doesn't make it so. The trick is to take everything with a grain of salt.

I saw a new one about the same thing. It really doesn't matter if it is true or not, public figures still have a private life. It would be foolish to think that the White House is moral just because those in it are in one's own party. Bush is not a saint as some want to believe and Clinton was not a devil, we need to stop expecting more of our leaders than we do of ourselves. There are plenty of things that the media and the public needs to be focused on and these trips into the private lives of our leaders detract from that. I just wanted to tell you that I find Air America to be more truthful and fair than any others.

Thank you Trend, I wouldn't be surprised to see that all the reports about his private life are right, but I think that focusing on his private life keeps us from looking at his public life.
      Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have not been well.

The trouble Grandma is that most people that I know on the right want to think of Clinton as a devil and Bush as a saint. The truth is that Clinton did far more good, but as far as their moral character that is for God to decide. Love seeing ya
      Jess