Christmas Party

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on December 13th, 2006

We wanted to create a message board to talk about what Christmas means to you.  This board will exist for the twelve days of Christmas; it is our hope that others will enjoy sharing their experiences with his holiday.  If you wish to talk about politics please do so using the “Free Fire Zone” board or one of the many related articles.  We here at the “C -n- C” want to wish all a very Merry Christmas.

image

The wreath in the picture was emailed to me in an advertisement, seeing that we are using the picture we wanted to give the creator a free plug.  It was made by Thomas Kinkade, the “illuminated Holiday Wreath is an extraordinary Collectibles Market exclusive limited edition – and a must-have decoration for every Kinkade collector! Info & Orders HERE

For me the most precious moment of the season is the look in a child's eyes as it gazes in wonderment at the store Santa. There are a lot of Christians who are opposed to the stories of Santa Claus and the Reindeer; I am not one of them. Oh I know that there isn't a Santa or flying reindeer, I haven’t gone senile yet.
    Think for a minute what these stories teach children. They learn about believing, about being good, about responsibility, they learn that no matter how hard they try someone will always know what they have done. For a family that has a strong Christmas bond there is the strongest sense of family. I found this on the Internet:

Christmas is about believing

That night, Christmas night, I had the most scrumpilicious dinner ever with my family and all my friends. And my dad finally asked, “Chrissie, did you really deliver all those presents to all those kids?”
    “Yes, but I also told them Christmas isn’t about getting presents. Christmas is about something much, much bigger than presents. Christmas is about believing!”

Very nicely said Grandma, this topic is a welcome departure from the politics that we usually talk about. I don't see what is wrong with letting a child believe in Santa. There's so much darkness in the world today that stories of hope should be welcomed by all. Here's one for you,

I haven't found a picture yet but I like what Grandma Bee said, this is the season of believing.

This won't mean anything to most of you, and was written for my grandchildren, who get and have so much at Christmas, they don't appreciate any of it.
    Please indulge me while I share it with you.
    Christmas Remembered
    1945
    It was 1945, the ending days of World War II. I was nine years old, the oldest of three children – a brother, 7 and a sister, 5. Our sister had been hospitalized with pneumonia. The “miracle drugs of the day were the Sulfas, with Penicillin just emerging, and scarce because most of it went to our fighting men. Pneumonia was then a more serious illness.
    Mother was staying with our sister at the hospital, and the three “men” (father, brother, and self) were doing the best we could.
    We didn’t have our own personal transportation, and had to depend on neighbors and a local bus system to go anywhere. A few days before Christmas we went to the annual Christmas play/Celebration at our church, hitching a ride with a neighbor, and going in the snow. It had started snowing earlier in the evening, and although it was a short distance to the church, there was real difficulty getting there. The neighbors’ car was an old Willis, which didn’t have a heater and the wipers didn’t work. Snow tires? This being just a few months after the end of World War II, things like tires, of
    which most had gone to the war effort, were in short supply. You were fortunate indeed if you had tires that were not slick. Our neighbor, his two boys – just about the ages of my brother and me, drove the two mile distance with his head out the window, and all of us were thoroughly chilled when we got to church. When the services were over, snow was still falling. It was a repeat adventure going home.
    Just as an aside, White Christmases were, and still are a rarity in that part of the country.
    Sometime during the course of the season, we did get gifts, having been told that there wouldn’t be much that year because what money we had would be needed to pay hospital and doctor’s bills. Hospital insurance was relatively unknown then.
    My brother and I both received leather billfolds, and pocket knives. To a 9 and 7 year old, these were real treasures. We only carried the billfolds on special occasions, because there was never much money to put into them, especially not bills.
    Being afraid of loosing it, this pocketknife was kept in a secure location, and only taken out when it was being used. Later on, I got other knives and carried them, but still kept this first one.
    I don’t know what ever happened to it, but I did keep it until I left home and joined the Army. From then on, childhood personal possessions did not have much significance or sentimental value – only now, when they are remembered.
    This year, 2006, I will have celebrated 61 Christmases since then, but this is the one most vivid.

For Christians the birth of our Lord is the first thought, what follows is the joy and peace that comes from knowing Him. I believe that the family life that I have known is a product of this spirit. I can remember growing up with strong family gatherings at Christmas. There were Aunts and Uncles, Grandparents and Great Grandparents, cousins and siblings with my parents made for quite a gathering. I remember a room full of gifts which to a kid just added to the festivities. Today I obtain far more joy from giving than from receiving; this must be how God felt on the first Christmas. Below is a picture of Zoie.

Christmas-when I was growing up Santa not only brought toys but also the tree. To go to bed and everything as it always was and then to wake up and see that wonderful tree with lights and ornaments-magic. And of course family-having the family together is wonderful.

I am glad to see you here. The tree is up and all the lights are flickering. Almost all the gifts are bought and most of the family that is still with us will be here for Christmas. Recently my aunt and uncle moved up here, Zoie loves him. I am really looking forward to this Christmas. I enjoy giving gifts; it is all part of the family bond. For me that is what Christmas means the most. Some may question how as a Christian I can say that, but for me the Christian experience is a family experience. In the church we sing a hymn that goes, “I’m so happy to be in the family of God.” That is what being a Christian is about – that family love. Well, I have gone on, but it is good to see you here.
    Merry Christmas

I love that bear, I love everything about Christmas. Of course I like to shop, but the atmosphere is so much better at this time of year, I don't even mind the lines. The best is seeing all of the kids waiting to see Santa.

I wish I had made this post sooner…I just wanted to say how wonderful Christmas was this year and say that I like all your nice thoughts about Christmas. That bear was cute, so were all the other pictures. I hope that you have a good New Year. I'll check out your blog more now that I know how to post on it.

I am glad that you liked this message board. I would love to have Christmas year round but then it would lose some of what makes it special. As the season draws to a close the board will be moved to the archives till next year. I too hope that all will have a good New Year, but what ever should come we must put our faith in the Lord. That is how even the worst of times can be joyful. Thank you for posting here and I hope to see you again.