Free Fire Zone ~ May 09

Written by Christianity and the Confusion on May 2nd, 2009

This is the Free Fire Zone message board for May . The previous ones can be found by using the search engine located below the Google/dictionary box, by doing a search of “Free Fire Zone” you will be able to see all previous ones.  Feel free to reply to any post there or restart the thread here.

This message board is for posting what ever you like. If you notice that some pages are missing try looking in the Archives. Some may find this page useful when their regular boards are not working. Here all are welcome, after registering you will be able to post. To start a new thread click on the Post a comment you can gave that thread a title by replacing the Free Fire Zone with your title. Enjoy this board and remember no personal insults.

On Tuesday the announcement was made that Senator Specter was going to switch party which brought the ire of some Conservatives. One person even speculated that Arlen Specter was being Black-mailed into this by the President. I wanted to take a moment to address the good and bad of this switch.

Putting aside any conspiracy theories, I think that those who are jumping for joy and those who feel betrayed need to calm down, as this switch will be for the most part meaningless. Specter will still be voting as a moderate as we have already seen. How is this switch good for the Democrats? It will put an end to the threat of an automatic filibuster, which seems to make Harry Reed shake with fear. Specter may feel less pressure to vote against the policies of the President, but he may still vote against them and join in on a filibuster. How is this good for Republicans? They may be able to elect a younger more Conservative person to replace Specter. How is it bad for Democrats? It is very unlikely that they will be able to replace Specter with a younger more progressive Senator.

As I said, this really is not what so many have made it to be. About all it will do is to (Maybe) force the politicians to work together for the best interest of America, maybe.

First the comment about Justice Robert's memory, and now his swine flu advice (no air travel).
    I cut him a lot of slack during the campaign and ignored people who kept commenting on him putting his foot in his mouth, but are these incidients a preview of what is to come?
    Is the Obama administration going to have to keep doing damage control for what Biden says?

Is Joe Biden Obama's Dan Quayle?

by SharkRider on Fri 01 May 2009 11:38 PM PDT | Permanent Link

I have to agree. I was astonished when Obama chose him for VP. I thought Bill Richardson had it in the bag.

All of you are overreacting and, frankly, falling into the media's disingenuous ability to blow a story out of proportion in order to make it a 48 hour news cycle headline. As unfortunate as it is, the media rarely – if ever – takes statements into their true context. This cannot be more evident than in this particular instance, given the exact question and phrasing of what was asked to Joe Biden by Matt Lauer.
    Transcript:
    MATT LAUER: Let me ask you this, and this is by no means a 'gotcha' type of question, I promise, but if a member of your family came to you and said, 'Look, I want to go on a commercial airline to Mexico and back within the next week, would you think it's a good idea?”
    JOE BIDEN: I would tell members of my family, and I have: I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. It's not that it's going to Mexico, it's that you're in a confined aircraft, when one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing…
    MATT LAUER: Right.
    JOE BIDEN: …If you're in a closed aircraft, or closed container, or closed aircraft, that's another thing.
    ……………………………………..
    Context: Matt Lauer asked Joe Biden about a specific instance regarding his own family and what he, personally, would tell them. He stated what many Americans are already doing and have already used common sense in when determining their travel plans: If you don't have to do X, Y, or Z, then don't. That's not a gaffe, that's common sense. Anyone who sees this comment as anything else is, quite frankly, a fool. I take the light rail every day to school and back, at my own risk. However, I'm not going to panic just because the Vice President stated that he cautions his own family to seek other modes of transportation IF THEY CAN. There is nothing wrong with that, and I could probably have surveyed a hundred families in New York City or elsewhere who were doing the same thing BEFORE Joe Biden even spoke. That's why this is an assinine headline.
    This reminds me of the Sarah Palin “pro America” gaffe, or the Barack Obama “typical white woman” gaffe. The majority of ignorant Americans hear the one liner part of an entire sentence and go, “O M G!!!!!” However, when you actually read and listen to the context of the entire message, you find that your overreaction is not only unwarrented, but stupid. What compounds this is the fact that the White House is stupid enough to respond to the medias hyperbole regarding this issue. This warranted zero response whatsoever.
    Oh, and Joe Biden is no where close to Dan Quayle…. Sarah Palin isn't even close to Dan Quayle.

Would you be as bloodless about Lieberman and the other Blue Dog Democrats … defecting to the Republicans, and depriving you of your 60 vote filibuster proof margin in the Senate?
    As far as Harry Reed and Pelosi go … you don't really still think they are Democrats do you? They are beltway bandits, same as the rest of them, they represent lobbyists, not you!
    Shalom

I wish they would all switch to Independent. GW was right about partisanship! They each need to represent all of their constituents, not just some of them, not lobbyists, not their party.
    Shalom

I like Joe. He's a straight talker. Yes, sometimes he puts his foot in his mouth, but you can also usually count on him saying what he really thinks. He may unintentionally embarrass the administration from time to time, but he's a man of the people and by no means stupid.

I can not debate your description. I would add that Specter is not really so admirable in character. He is a moderate which is better than being a right wing crypto-fascist, white supremacist, or corporate prostitute like Limbaugh, Baughman, Gingrich, Palin, or Imhoff.
    I do not admire Specter because he did not act out of altruism for his fellow Americans. He was told that he would lose his seat in the Republican Primary to a hard line extremist. So he decided to switch parties to keep his seat as a Democrat. Maybe Obama talked him into it. I doubt that because Obama is too smart for that.
    Like you said, Specter is not automatic Democratic vote. He is an opportunist. Obama should think that a young progressive REAL Democrat, with Obama personally campaigning for him/her, would likely beat a hard-line Republican Palinite.
    The best outcome would have been a new REAL Democrat take Specter's seat with Obama's aid.
    The worst outcome would be Faux Democrat Specter losing to a hard like Republican because Specter's constituents might not admire his obvious opportunism.
    The no-win, no-lose outcome would be Specter doing what you said he might. He might vote with the Republicans sometimes, the Democrats other times. Net gain – 0.
    Amergin

From all the media coverage you would think that millions had died from this flu. Not the case, in the US there has only been 1 death and it was in Texas. In Mexico where it all started, only 62 deaths. I know, no want wants to see anyone die, but this is hardly the epidemic that the media is making it to be. One thing is for sure, it has helped Obama, because no one is talking about his failed economy any more.

by Marty

What it does, in essence, is give Specter the opportunity to work with the Democrats without having to face “dire” consequences at every turn. Sometimes he'll go along. Sometimes he won't. But now at least when he does go along, he's not going to be considered a pariah by his own party.

Well, here's a picture for you and it says it all. Limbaugh and his sheep in the congress want to paint the President as a failure before he even has a chance to correct the harm that Bush did to the Nation. I don't see how anyone can claim to love America and want the country to fail! Oh and it's not President Obama's economy that's in trouble, it's the economy that he inherited from the Republicans. When are you guys going to take some of that personal responsibility that you are always talking about?

Quick quiz: You're a powerful government lawyer who gives the legal go-ahead for a secret U.S. torture program.
    Do you:
    a) Lose your license to practice law
    b) Go to jail
    c) Win a lifetime appointment to one of the highest courts in the land
    In the case of Jay Bybee, the answer is “c.” Bybee, the lawyer responsible for many of the worst Bush-era torture memos, is currently serving on the prestigious 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, thanks to his old boss, George W. Bush.
    That's just not right.
    Jay Bybee showed no respect for our laws and isn't fit to be a federal judge. Can you sign our petition to Congress calling for the impeachment of Jay Bybee?

The petition says: “Jay Bybee, the man behind the torture memos, is unfit to be a federal judge. Congress should impeach him.
    President Obama said last night that torture “corrodes the character of a country.” He's right. Jay Bybee, who violated the law by coming up with a “legal” rationale for waterboarding and other acts of torture, isn't qualified to hold a position charged with upholding our Constitution.
    The outcry for his impeachment is growing; leading progressive in Congress are demanding answers,1 and 20,000 Americans have called for Bybee's impeachment.2 As The New York Times said: “Mr. Bybee is unfit for a job that requires legal judgment and a respect for the Constitution. Congress should impeach him.”3
    The calls to impeach Bybee are getting noticed—but Congress hasn't acted yet, and might not, unless we ramp up the call for accountability. There's a real chance Bybee will be held accountable, but only if we show Congress that if they lead, we'll support them.
    Can you sign the petition today?
    Thanks for all that you do.
    Sources:
    1. “Pressure grows to impeach Bybee over 'torture memos,'” The Times of London, April 29, 2009

2. “Podesta Calls For Bybee Impeachment On CNN, Delivers Your Petitions To Congress,” Think Progress, April 26, 2009
    3. “The Torturers' Manifesto,” The New York Times, April 18, 2009

Specter will be a short-term gain only…and even then it's just a guess. Over the next 3-4 months it will be clear whether Specter has truly changed his stripes. If he bucks the President on important issues I would expect a very hard run against him in the primaries even after the DNC and Obama have declared they will support him. If he truly is a non-supporter on on health care reform…then I wouldn't be surprised if even the President pulls back his support, and justifiably so.
    I still think that in the end Specter will be more of a pain in the long run and is just another Senator who's time has come and gone. However some deals evidently have been made behind closed doors but Specter sure as hell hold up whatever his end of the 'bargain' was.
    Plus he's old. He can't live forever.

Taming Terror
    What happens when a prisoner is set free from the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo? David Martin goes inside a Saudi Arabian program, which teaches alleged terrorists that Osama Bin Laden is all wrong. 12:45 minutes

Saudi Arabia is Wahhabism, and Wahhabism outside Saudi Arabia is Salafism … which is the major Sunni movement to take over countries and remake them in the Saudi image. The Saudis oppose the Al Qaida guys only for the same reason why one mafia opposes another mafia .. competition! Sure they oppose the Muslim Brotherhood membership in Al Qaida (the number two guy is MB aka Egyptian), and they oppose Hamas and Hezbullah because they are both supported by Iran. It was the sovereign funds going nuts speculating in commodities, particularly oil, that caused markets to go nuts last year, and helped make the developing recession even worse.

by Frankie B on Sun 03 May 2009 10:36 PM PDT | Profile | Permanent Link
    Taming Terror

I just watched that and the one thing kept going through my mind was all of this could have been avoided if Obama hadn't said that he wants to close Guantanamo. Why would anyone want to reward murders? O.. O… Please Mr. Terrorist, don't kill any more Americans and we'll give you a house, cars and money… Is that what Obama wants America to be like?

In a recent thread one person said to me that “Intelligent discussion is often not possible when politics are involved” I would add that when emotional issues are involved. For years Liberals have accused Conservatives of being close minded and intolerant, but just how is the Left? (Or should I say certain elements of the Left?)

Those who know me are aware that I oppose all forms of discrimination including that which is directed at gays. That does not change my religious believes on the subject and has gotten me into more than one argument over the subject of sin. Those who believe that there is nothing wrong with being gay are exercising a belief system just like those who believe it to be a sin. If I want someone to show tolerance for my belief system I feel that I must show tolerances for the belief systems of others. Sadly, this feeling is not shared.

Below is the video of Carrie Prejean on MSNBC.

She had simply said that she believed that marriage should be between a man and a woman. This is a belief just like the gays believe that there is nothing wrong with them being able to marry, why is one belief okay while the other is not? It seems to me that some are quick to demand tolerance but slow to give it out. No, Miss Prejean, you do not have the right to believe as you would, oops then there is that first amendment thing. Out of the blue came the gay revenge for anyone who should speak honestly (and I might add, respectfully) old pictures of Miss Prejean. She had this to say about it;

“I am a Christian, and I am a model,” said Carrie Prejean in a statement released to the media. “Models pose for pictures, including lingerie and swimwear photos. Recently, photos taken of me as a teenager have been released surreptitiously to a tabloid Web site that openly mocks me for my Christian faith. I am not perfect, and I will never claim to be. But these attacks on me and others who speak in defense of traditional marriage are intolerant and offensive.” Link

It would seem to me that if we are going to be tolerant of all believes then that means we must be tolerant of those which oppose our own believes. It is one thing to would for equality and another thing to grain one group freedoms while taking them away from another group. Then again, these are just my opinions.

There are actions by the Left that legitimately scare the B'Yeshua out of the Right. Helps the Left make more enemies … which I suspect is the reason why they do it 😉
    Shalom

Zealots! Left totalitarianism is just as totalitarian as Right totalitarianism. Free speech is to be used only as a weapon, and only by me … bwahahaha!
    Shalom

Yes, I Agree… Its true that gays talk of the abuse they get from the Christian religion, but they do want to act that way themselves when no one is in agreement with them. They don't tolerate very well those of us that are Christian.

What we must remember is that we cannot pigeon hole anyone. In my life I have known all types of people and one thing is a constant; each group has their good and their bad. Some gays are very tolerant and some very insecure, some just want to live their lives while others crave acceptance. Not being gay myself, all I can do is to show them Jesus through my life. It is true that there are many Christians that act in an un-Christ like manner and in doing so; they do more harm to Christianity than anyone outside of the Church ever could do. For this reason we must let our light shine so bright that it might be able to overcome the darkness of others. I would add that when we see intolerance that we must call it out, especially when we see it in ourselves.

Tolerance means free opinion

Our beliefs are quiet different and we post what we believe. Stating your beliefs is not “Hate Speech”. Tolerance means not barring opposing views from being heard. Tolerance is not turning hate into laws against those who believe differently. Tolerance does NOT mean gullibly accepting other's beliefs. Holding firm beliefs is NOT bigotry.

You may sincerely believe that those of us who are not Christian will be sent to Hell. I am not offended by that. In fact, your attempts to “proselytise” me is not a personal attack in my opinion. That you even bother to try to “save” me, is an act of love. I don't share your beliefs. I think you are wrong, but I have a right to criticise those beliefs. Yet I respect you and acknowledge that you do care. That is why you spend time trying to reach out to heathens like me.

When I criticise modern Christianity, I do so because I sincerely believe it to be a false religion that long ago abandoned Jesus of Nazareth. I believe it to be 90% borrowed Pagan myths. I am not attacking Christians by stating that based on my study, I conclude that Christianity is false and Pagan. I strongly believe this. So I try to reach out to Christians to inspire them to re-examine their religion and its true origins. I feel that it is better to examine one’s own beliefs. I did that. Now I believe the truth as I see it; that Christianity is a Polytheistic Idolatry.

My criticism of Christianity should offend no one. And Christians believing that I am going to Hell should not offend me.

As I stated earlier, I do have the right to hate the sin but not the sinner. I can hate false beliefs that I think are harmful. I must not hate those who are victims of that belief system, or those who mistakenly believe the false creeds. There is unfortunately a hazy line separating critical dissent from personal offence. Intolerance is action which restricts the freedom of expression in another.

Make no mistake about it. There are people on this forum who openly and viciously hate those who disagree with them. We all know who they are. They use words like moron, idiot, retard, stupid, and “Liberal” (very odd). But we must also recognise the in such emotion laded discussions, any of us can become angry and use mean words. I do not defend that. But it is human and decent people apologise after having posted such gobshite. My brother and sister called each other mean names over the years, but we love each other.

Amergin

I don't think that pageant normally judges candidates on their religious views, so I do have to wonder why Perez Hilton chose to ask her that particular question. I suspect he knew her probable answer, and wanted to throw it to another candidate. I don't think that is particularly up and up.
    I happen to disagree STRONGLY with her views on gay marriage, but I don't think she should have been asked the question because it is both politically partisan and religious, and I don't think punishing her for being honest is right. I do not know whether PR skills are part of the judgment process, and if they are, perhaps she lost for that reason. Her PR skills were slightly lacking. She did go out of her way to say she was glad she lived in a country where people can have different views.
    Would I personally want her to represent American views in other countries? Not really, but I don't think that's her job. For all the claims they make that the pageants are about talent, what they are really about is looks and to a much lesser degree, personality. I am not really wild about her, but I seldom follow beauty contestants, with the exception of an old friend of mine who competed for awhile regionally and was both brilliant and nice. I grew up with her, and if you asked me what her views on gay marriage would have been, I couldn't begin to guess. She never made it to that level of competition so I really do not know much about how that one works.
    I confess I was surprised Prejean lost the crown over it, if she actually did. I would in the past have expected a candidate with the opposite view to lose, which would also have bothered me. I am all for gay marriage. I am openly all for it, and I am a Christian. However, I really don't think what Hilton did helps my case any. Was it a clever publicity stunt? Sure. Is it likely to cause societal change toward greater acceptance of gays and lesbians? No.

“The government is now recommending that schools stay open even if they have a confirmed case of swine flu. I love it. In one week, the swine flu has gone from the end of the world to not as bad as snow.”
    – Jimmy Fallon

GOP Pollster:
    Our National Security Attacks On Obama Make Us Look “Irrelevant”

A high-profile and well-respected GOP pollster is strongly criticizing the new effort by the GOP Congressional leadership to revive the party's national security attacks on Obama, saying the strategy risks making the party look “out of touch and irrelevant.”

“What are we, in a time machine?” the pollster, Tony Fabrizio, asked scornfully in an interview with me moments ago. “We just got clobbered in two successive elections and lost majorities in both Houses, and the leadership appears to keep on playing the same cards.” …

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

“The White House announced Friday that Joe Biden will travel to Bosnia, Herzegovina, Serbia and Kosovo. Biden was surprised and wanted to know who scheduled a trip to Bosnia on a boat that goes through the coast of Somalia.”
    – Pedro Bartes

CORRECTION

Last week we mistakenly reported that CIA interrogators waterboarded Khalid Sheikh Mohammed 183 times in March, 2003, an average of slightly more than six times per day. In fact, there are 31 days in March, so he was waterboarded an average of slightly less than six times per day. We regret the error.

– IronicTimes.com

Torture Memo Author Advocated Presidential Pardons, Jury Nullification

A Bush administration attorney who approved harsh interrogation techniques of terror suspects advocated in 2006 that President Bush set aside recommendations by his own Justice Department to bring prosecutions for such practices, that the President should consider pardoning anyone convicted of such offenses, and even that jurors hearing criminal cases about such matters engage in jury nullification.

That advice came from John Yoo, a former attorney with the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel and author of memos that served as a legal rationale for the Bush administration's interrogation techniques. Yoo's recommendations constitute one of the most compelling pieces of a body of evidence that Yoo and other government attorneys improperly skewed legal advice to allow such practices, according to sources familiar with a still-confidential Justice Department report. …

The Shallow End

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

“The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.
    – Sigmund Freud

BUSH LIBRARY PLANS WATERBOARDING EXHIBIT
    Visitors Will Be Able to Experience Genuine 'Near Drowning'

The Board of Directors of the George W. Bush Presidential Library voted 13-0 to establish a waterboarding exhibit in which visitors who pay an extra admission fee will be subjected to the controversial “enhanced interrogation” technique.

“As the unanimous nature of the vote indicates, the board was quite enthusiastic about establishing this exhibit,” said a library spokesman. “The board feels that allowing the public to see firsthand someone undergoing waterboarding will convincingly show the public that it is not torture and President Bush did not allow torture during his administration.

A member of the Board, who asked not to be identified, said he hoped that senior members of the Bush Administration would agree to allow themselves to be subjected to waterboarding at the Library's exhibit in a series of fund-raising events.

“I'm confident that if someone like Vice President Cheney were to undergo waterboarding at the Library, that event alone could raise several million dollars in pledges,” said a board member, who asked not to be identified. “Condi Rice, Don Rumsfeld, Al Gonzales — there's a whole host of people who could undergo waterboarding and put the Bush Library fund raising well over the top,” he said.

The board member said there was “spirited, enthusiastic discussion” at the meeting about the fund-raising potential in selling video DVDs showing former Bush Administration officials undergoing waterboarding at the museum.

“There's a goldmine here for the Bush library. Imagine the royalties from a video game in which the players could use waterboarding of Cheney and Rumsfeld to score points and so on,” the board member said.

A spokesman for Cheney said the former vice president was “greatly cheered by the board's decision and believes such an exhibit will forcefully show the public that waterboarding is not torture, that it is a humane and effective tool to encourage a detainee to cooperate during an interrogation.

He said the former vice president “would be happy to undergo waterboarding at the Library as a fund-raiser, provided his doctors will permit it.”

Cheney wears a heart pacemaker. His doctors would most likely rule out letting him undergo waterboarding, even if the former vice president doesn't consider it torture.

Media reports have said that the library's board of trustees hopes to raise $500 million for the facility, which will be built on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

TORTURE….

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

“George W. Bush was reported Monday to have raised a hundred million dollars for his presidential library at Southern Methodist University. Silence will not be tolerated inside. It's the only library in the world that tortures you unless you talk.”
    – Argus Hamilton

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

To keep from closing the Guantanamo Bay prison, top House Republicans have proposed legislation — the “Keep Terrorists Out of America Act” — to block the Obama administration from transferring any detainees to any state without receiving approval from that state's legislature and governor.

About 240 detainees remain at Guantanamo, and dozens of those have been cleared for release…. some, as long as 4 years ago.

And don't forget the SuperMax prisons we already have for the worst of the worst.

To show you what WATB's the Republicans are:
    At the end of World War II there were 175 POW camps spread out over the U.S. containing over 425,000 prisoners of war.

(note: WATB = Whiny Ass Titty Baby)

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

“House Democrats included no money in the military funding bill Tuesday for the transfer of terror detainees from Guantanamo prison, because no states will take them. It's a dangerous time to have Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in California. William Morris is about to fire one hundred agents who will be thirsting for revenge and looking for a leader.”
    – Argus Hamilton

Prepare Yourself….

=–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=

“Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told a group of fourth graders that the Bush Administration never used torture to interrogate terrorist suspects. Condoleezza spoke to the fourth graders using simple, uncomplicated words that they could easily understand. Same way she explained it to President Bush. Almost verbatim.”
    – Jay Leno

Babes in TortureLand

. . . Then a fourth-grader named Misha Lerner asked a tough one: what did Rice think about the things President Obama's administration had been saying concerning methods used by the previous administration to get information from detainees? …

“Let me just say that President Bush was very clear that he wanted to do everything he could to protect the country,” Rice responded. “After September 11, we wanted to protect the country. But he was also very clear that we would do nothing, nothing, that was against the law or against our obligations internationally. So the president was only willing to authorize policies that were legal in order to protect the country.”

Rice's response to the Babes in TortureLand echoed what she had said earlier at Stanford, while pleading for sympathy: “I hope you understand that it was a very difficult time. We were all so terrified of another attack on the country.” Nevertheless, she reiterated, “Even under those most difficult circumstances, the president was not prepared to do something illegal…” …

“And I'll tell you something,” she continued. “Unless you were there in a position of responsibility after September 11th, you cannot possibly imagine the dilemmas that you faced in trying to protect Americans. And I know a lot of people are second-guessing now, but let me tell you what second-guessing would really have hurt me — if the second-guessing had been about 3,000 more Americans dying because we didn't do everything we could to protect them.”

Apparently when you're in that position of responsibility, it helps to be 'tough-minded' like Bush and Rice. …

BREAKING NEWS from PNN.news.com

— Condi ignored warnings: '4th Grader Determined to Strike'; “How was I to know that a 4th grader would have a superior moral code and more respect for the law than a certain Stanford professor of Political Science?”
    (SatiricalPolitical.com)

PNN:
    Making you more informed and obnoxious than when you woke up.
    *************************************************************

by May on Tue 05 May 2009 01:30 PM PDT | Profile | Permanent Link

Firstly, former Bush Administrations officails have ADMITTED that not everyone in Gitmo is guilty.
    Secondly, when these men FINALLY get some due process as demanded by US and International Laws, those found guilty will be transfered to other US facilities. Those found innocent will be repatriated.
    The cowboy arrogance of the Bushco regime is ended, expect the US to act much more like human beings in the future.

by AM on Sun 10 May 2009 08:20 PM PDT | Permanent Link

by May on Tue 05 May 2009 01:30 PM PDT | Profile | Permanent Link

Who says that they weren't guilty? Even that one guy said that he fought along side Osama… and while I'm on it, if President Bush's policies weren't any good, why haven't we been hit since 9/11? No, it's a big mistake to close Guantanamo and you'll never hear the Dems admit it even when there's another 9/11!!!

On his visit to Turkey among other things, the Pope called for more tolerance for other religions in many Muslim countries. His current visit to Jordan, Israel and Palestine will test this appeal to the limit. Esp. as in “the other things”, he asked Muslims to confront the hard truths ie that the jihadist in their midst still wish to attempt to re-conquer the West [The 1683 defeat at the gates of Vienna is still a sore point for many of them, as is the total decline of the Ottoman empire].
    Although this pope does not speak for all of Christianity, as a spokesperson for humanity, his words could be heeded by all peoples with a conscience.
    Regards,
    Kasey

Our country was attacked by terrorists on 9/11 which happened to be while Lil georgie was in office. Our country was attacked while a republican was POTUS. Our country was not attacked by Iraqi's while a republican was in office. A republican invaded Iraq after our country was attacked on 9/11. Republicans love to say we haven't been attacked since 9/11. Republicans must share the same disease that ronnie “I Can't Recall” reagan suffered from. It would do republicans best if they stopped making the retarded claim that we haven't been attacked since 9/11. That statement makes the gop look downright silly…

1688 I think, not 1683 😉

I am visiting the Turkish Festival today. Never mention Armenians, Kurds, Greeks to a Turk … out of politeness. They had a big Empire in their day, one of the last premodern ones. The Spanish probably still wish they had their empire too. The fall of the Ottoman Empire was assisted, particularly by their ostensible W European allies, particularly because of the failure of their German ally to win WW I.
    I think the Jihadist don't want to conquer us, they simply want to destroy us. Hence the oil issue. Osama would simply turn off the spigot and watch us self destruct. The Arabs mostly failed to conquer France in the 700s, because they weren't interested in it, but we can still give Charles Martel his due, for having stood up to Arab raiding parties (but not the Arab army). The Turks did try to conquer Eastern Europe, but the Mongol invasion, Tamerlane (a later Mongol), and developing Western technology (the Turks borrowed technology like the Japanese, but didn't invent it) … forstalled their aggressions.
    I really don't think the Pope will appeal all that much to Jordanians, who are now mostly Palestinians and ex-Bedouin. The Vatican has no goats 😉

Hey May,
    We were only attacked once while Clinton was in office as well. Drop the good little American speech.

by Dan on Sun 10 May 2009 09:04 PM PDT | Permanent Link
    Hey May,

Only once, how about the WTO bombing, Oklahoma City bombing, and the USS Cole. and those were just from on top of my head. Clinton did nothing about terrorism, all he did was to drop it into President Bush's lap.

And they are still subtlely purging those three nationalities from their territory. That's one of the influencing factors keeping them from the EU. And their denial of the Armenian genocides in the WW1 and post WW1 periods doesn't help their cause either as well as the rise in power if the Islamist political forces there which may make a dangerous situation there in the future.
    Regards,
    Kasey

So funny they are afraid of radical or demonstrating Turks … but the radical and demonstrating French … with their tendency just as much as Turkey, to overthrow any existing constitution … they are not afraid of. And they are not afraid of Germany!
    The US has a better chance of getting in the EU than most existing European members … because we are in less denial here. When will the Europeans do reparations for all of their Medieval and Roman crimes?
    I agree that the Turks/Armenians would heal, if they had a truth commission. Turkey, being Muslim, will always be in danger from political Islam. Just as America is in danger from political Christianity, and W Europe in danger from political atheism!

by AM on Sun 10 May 2009 08:20 PM PDT | Permanent Link

never mind they trained at terrorist camps…or shot at a soldier …thats all besides the point…lol
    once again folks…this is what is keeping us from winning…faux outrage…hand wringing and internal finger pointing…
    as stated before it would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

I have tried to be understanding towards gays, but this Perez Hilton makes me all the more against gay marriage. Watch to see his flaming used in political ads next election.
    We don't agree on much and maybe you haven't seen may gays like that Perez, I think that they're becoming the norm rather than the exception. What did Carrie Prejean opinion about gay marriage have to do with a beauty contest? I hope that Prejean sues Hilton for violating her civil rights. If this isn't a case of discrimination I don't know what is!

Conservatives think the Salem witchcraft trials was a good idea…

by Cem on Sun 10 May 2009 09:37 PM PDT | Permanent Link
    as stated before it would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

Another compasionate conservative, I see. Sorry to burst your little world view bubble, but Muslims aren't sub-human. A few snips from an AP story in March. Let me know f you'll need me to read it to you….
    LINK
    Many detainees locked up at Guantanamo were innocent men swept up by U.S. forces unable to distinguish enemies from noncombatants, a former Bush administration official said Thursday.
    “There are still innocent people there,” Lawrence B. Wilkerson, a Republican who was chief of staff to then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, told The Associated Press. “Some have been there six or seven years.”
    Wilkerson, who first made the assertions in an Internet posting on Tuesday, told the AP he learned from briefings and by communicating with military commanders that the U.S. soon realized many Guantanamo detainees were innocent but nevertheless held them in hopes they could provide information for a “mosaic” of intelligence.
    “It did not matter if a detainee were innocent. Indeed, because he lived in Afghanistan and was captured on or near the battle area, he must know something of importance,” Wilkerson wrote in the blog. He said intelligence analysts hoped to gather “sufficient information about a village, a region, or a group of individuals, that dots could be connected and terrorists or their plots could be identified…….
    ……Wilkerson told the AP in a telephone interview that many detainees “clearly had no connection to al-Qaida and the Taliban and were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pakistanis turned many over for $5,000 a head.”
    Some 800 men have been held at Guantanamo since the prison opened in January 2002, and 240 remain. Wilkerson said two dozen are terrorists, including confessed Sept. 11 plotter Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was transferred to Guantanamo from CIA custody in September 2006.
    “We need to put those people in a high-security prison like the one in Colorado, forget them and throw away the key,” Wilkerson said. “We can't try them because we tortured them and didn't keep an evidence trail.”
    But the rest of the detainees need to be released, he said.

by May on Sun 10 May 2009 08:43 PM PDT | Profile | Permanent Link

Please see the above new article snips in my last reply above concerning innocent men being held, and tortured. Also, Gitmo is but one of many installations where suspects are being held, acting as if it the ONLY facility is simply asanine and rather uninformed. Closing Gitmo is purely a diplomatic move to show the Muslim world that the US no longer supports the policies of the past Administration.
    Those arrogant cow-boy antics of the past Administration helped fuel radical Islam extremism. After the invasion of Iraq, a country innocent of each and every lie Bush43 could concoct, the numbers of terrorists and terrorist attacks skyrocketed, and have not returned to pre-invasion numbers to date. Any US serviceman who served in Iraq will also testify that we certainly have seen many terrorist attacks since 9/11.
    Also, from 1993 until 2001, we didn't witness a terrorist attack on US soil. Was this due to “Bush policy”? Was this due to Bush43's torture program, which incidentally has NOT gathered any intel at all?
    Bush43 wasn't some talisman against Islamic extremists, he was no pair of magic underwear keeping terrorists away. We have not seen an attack on US soil since 9/11 due to a heightened sence of security and improved communications within our own intel community.

by May

Firstly, the OC bombing was purely a matter of domestic terrorism, foriegn terrorists were not involved. And which attacks does WTO stand for, the first WTC bombing?
    Clinton went after OBL on a few occassions, including missle attacks on known locations and an attempt to grab OBL in 1998-99 that was broken up by Pakistan's military coup.Clinton also handed ALL intel over to Bush43 when the latter took office, including intel on the 9/11 terrorists as well.
    Those attempts were BEFORE the Cole and 9/11 attacks.
    What did Bush43 do AFTER those attacks?
    Sat on the Cole Bombing suspects for eight years and broke off of the manhunt for OBL to invade a soveriegn nation on trumped up charges and outright lies.
    So please, enough of the partisan demagogery.

Obama laughs his head off as radical liberal Wanda Sykes calls for Rush Limbaugh's death and calls him treasonous, the 20th hijacker on 9/11.

She's a comedian, it was funny.
    Let me guess- you are one of those people who thinks that Steven Colbert is a shining example of conservative punditry.

US military officials at GITMO have been quoted as noting that many of the people at GITMO are not guilty of anything. If they were guilty it would not have taken 6 years to convict them of it.

That was not funny.

by noetsi

Maybe it's not about convictions, maybe it was just to get hem off of the field of battle. I don't know for sure, it's above my paygrade

Rush Limbaugh is a joke. Jokes are funny. Therefore… talking about Rush is funny.
    Btw… the definition of Humor:
    “The reaction to a truth expressed in a sudden and unexpected way.”
    In this case, that truth is that the large majority of Americans can't stand Rush. That's statistical fact.
    300+ MILLION Americans. A “large majority” of which would be 2/3 or more. Or IOW… Rush would have to be liked by at least 100 MILLION Americans. He's not. Prove it? Sure. Let's begin here:
    There are slightly more women in the U.S. than men. Most women despise Rush as a fat misogynistic pig. Right there, he's not liked by the 40% of the country that is 80% of all women. Then we look at men.
    They appear to be somewhat evenly divided between Democrats, Republicans, and Indie/Alt parties. Let's say Rush gets 0% of Dems, 80% of Republicans, and 30% of the I/A approval. That's 28% of the male approval. Or 72% disapproval. Or not liked by 36% of the male portion of the country.
    That's disliked by 76% of Americans.
    His claimed listenership is 20 million. That's about 6.5% of Americans. So even if 4 times as many people that supposedly listen to him liked him… that's still basically 3/4 of America not liking him.
    For those 220 MILLION Americans that can't stand Rush Limbaugh… Wanda Sykes saying she wishes his kidneys would fail for saying he wants Obama to fail in pulling our country out of this economic nightmare, for purely selfish reasons… is a sudden and unexpected expression of a truth.
    Therefore… “funny”.

Did she say anything worse than what Limbaugh has said?

Mine too. Since they never went through the process of determining guilt we will likely never know.

Go Jesse!

There wasn't anything wrong with what Wanda said, I can't believe it, oh poor Rush a girl was picking on him. Why is it okay for people like Limbaugh can insult and all his right-wing fans laugh and cheer, but let someone like Sykes make jokes about him and that's crossing the line.

Here is the full interview, just click on the big black box.

I have annoyed many over the years in my demands for a new Independent Prosecutor, I am a strong believer in oversight and supervision of the elected officials who work for us. If you and I can be subjected to drug testing, why not the Congress and for that matter the President?

Actually, this is not about drug testing, rather corruption, corruption of all kinds. We as the employers have a right to know that our employees are following our rules. I would like to see an Department of Independent Prosecution which would be non-partisan and under the control of the Supreme Court. I would like to see it investigate all who serve us. Such an office could investigate the charges of torture and other charges of corruption of the last eight years. This would leave Congress free to do the People's work.

A continuously sitting Star Chamber would be fun, made up of people who basically hate other people in general, misanthropists, who distrust anything done by anyone. Of course they could investigate anything, but couldn't convict unless you were actually guilty of something. Being misanthropes they wouldn't hold back even for partisan reasons. Should have had this in operation ever since Watergate.
    Shalom

Non-partisan would be hard to do.

How would you assemble a non-partisan department? All non voters? An exactly equal number of persons from every party? There are a lot of parties. People who claim they are non partisan, but belong to a party and vote? People ineligible to vote?
    I'm not making fun of you. I just can't figure out how to make a non partisan anything in Washington DC. The Supreme Court itself leans in whichever direction it is currently stacked in.

here's what I propose the FBI subjects all of their agents to lie detector tests. Their jobs can depend on whether they pass them or not. Some get several if they fail. The FBI has enough confidence in them to do so.
    All people running for elected office need to go thru the same as well. Questions about corruption and honesty, intent of running should be standard questions. Then post the results and let the people decide…………..sai ram

How about a committee of foreigners say from the Netherlands, where The Hague sits in judgement? And they all have to pass a lie detector test, that they hate Americans equally.
    Shalom

When are people going to wake up to the fact that Obama talks out of both sides of his mouth? The White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said recently about Obama's opposition to gay marriage: “I think the president believes this is an issue that's best addressed by the states.”

Obama has had two positions on gay marriage and NEITHER of them had anything to do with leaving it up to each state to decide. Are we now up to three?
    In a 2007 Chicago Tribune interview, Obama said, “I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue … my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Campaigning for the Illinois state Senate in 1996, Obama strongly supported gay marriage, “and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” Again — no mention of leaving it up to the states NOR any mention of that Christianity of his that he touted in his presidential run.

The Hill's Pundits blog Had some good questions for this President.

– Why are you claiming your opposition to gay marriage is because of a belief that it should be up to the states, rather than your campaign position of being opposed to gay marriage because of being Christian and believing in the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman?
    – Since your campaign position in 2008 is the polar opposite of your campaign position in 1996, where you said you strongly supported gay marriage and would fight any efforts to prohibit it — what caused you to change your mind?
    — Did Christianity cause you to change your mind?
    — Were you a Christian in 1996, and if not, when did you become one?
    — Why is your position now that the issue should be up to the states? Are you no longer a Christian? And if not, when did you stop, and why?

Now, who will ask him and who will make him answer?

Better think twice about that, you just might catch Nancy Pelosi in your trap.

Why should he? the states seem to be going for gay marriage.
    he is very against things like a federal amendment that bans marriage between two homosexuals.
    he campaigned on civil unions with full rights, like being able to see a loved one in the emergency room or cosigning on a house.
    he also campaigned on the matthew shepard act.
    so far so good in the world of gay rights.

I like it but you have to add a cattle prod, that goes off each time a politician lies.
    Shalom

Keith Olbermann says he will accept Rush Limbaugh’s challenge of not mentioning his name for 30 days, if the conservative radio host can go without talking about himself for the same length of time.

I love this site, they have all the these videos that we can post.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Great video, Marty! Keep up the good work.

Thank you, not all felt that it was clear, to which I am planning on reworking it into a new video. Thanks again.

As a people we have wrestled with the concept of justice. Some have a “Hang em all” attitude while others would just slap their hand and give them some therapy. The debate has raged for years over whether everyone could be rehabilitated to the point that we overlook the bigger question of should all criminals be rehabilitated? Perhaps there are those that can only make a meaningful contribution to society for behind bars. What we must ask ourselves is whether we want a Justice system that is about imprisonment and punishment or about rehabilitation so as to make that person once again a valuable member of society? Or even some mix there of. What would you say should happen to this Mother who murdered her child?

You don't really wanna know what I think ought to happen to anyone who hurts children or murders them. I hate people like that. I truly do think they ought to bring back the public hangings on people who murder their children, no matter who they are–even if its me or someone in my family, yeah it'd be hard if it where me or someone I love being punished that way but it'd be worth it just for the sake of seeing justice done for the innocent of the world…….

I refuse to watch that, but in answer to your question, we have a stereotype of mothers, which like all are stereotypes, are BS. And as I understand it, some mothers have post-partum psychosis. And others were just psycho to begin with. But we as a society have decided that not all violations are the result of mental illness, and so we punish those violations that are not the result of extreme dissociation, but may or may not be caused by mild dissociation.
    For my own part, I don't think anyone can be rehabilitated (that is a failed theory of penology, which developed in the US, by the Quakers in Pennsylvania, 200 years ago), because we always have free will. Some folks commit a crime, and never commit another, just because that is the way they are. Problem is we can't tell which convicts those people are in advance. And even the best person, at any random moment, can choose to commit their first crime.
    Meanwhile the people, who are either criminals already, or who at any moment can become one, demand to be protected from the uncertain future. That can only happen if everyone gets locked up. And the only way to do that, is to turn the entire country into an open air prison. Great Britain, with its excessive surveillance and DNA sampling tyranny and national identity card, is well on the way, and the US is closely following them. People forget though, in a free US, 150 years ago, only slaves in the South had to carry identity papers.
    Shalom

I'm with you if Society goes to the expense of execution. Don't do it in a small room away from most everyone. Make all the prisoners watch as well as young adults and other parties. Get the most benefit for the buck.
    Read off their crimes then execute them. Charlie Manson and his gang should have been executed. Instead of feeding them all these years. The food could have been put to better use for more deserving people that are hungry.
    The truth of the matter is some people are just no good. No good to themselves and others. These people will even kill in prison. However, few will ever kill again if executed…………sai ram

Fascist and Socialist have largely become pejorative terms for opponents. Those using the words often do not understand their true meaning. However, these two words do have significance in current politics.
    Republicans often call the Democrats socialists. Democrats sometimes refer to Republicans as Fascists. Is this just a pejorative name calling exercise or are they right? I will attempt to give a generally accepted definition of both.
    Fascism comprises a radical and authoritarian nationalist political ideology and a corporatist economic ideology. Fascists advocate the creation of a single-party state. Fascist governments forbid and suppress criticism and opposition to the government and the fascist movement. Fascism opposes class conflict, blames communists for exploiting the concept. In the economic sphere, many fascist leaders have claimed to support a “Third Way” in economic policy… This was to be achieved by a form of government control over business and labour (called “the corporate state” by Mussolini.) Most fascist dictatorships have forged a coalition of corporate cabals and organised religion. Examples include Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Falangist Spain, Fascist Croatia, Somoza Nicaragua, Noriega Panama, Batista Cuba, Trujillo Dominican Republic, Duvalier Haiti, Charles Taylor Liberia, and many others.
    Socialism is on the opposite end of the political spectrum. In theory, it gives ownership of resources and means of production to the people represented by their government that could be democratic and elected or Authoritarian lead by a dictator (Communism.) Socialism except for the Marxist-Leninist type, favaours personal freedom.
    American Democrats dread being accused of being socialists. Are they socialists? They do advocate public programmes that at least partially redistribute wealth from the rich to the middle, working, and lower classes. They believe in a public assistance to the poor and suffering people. They raise taxes to pay for universal health care, education, and infrastructure. I think that the designation “socialist” in large part does fit the Democratic Party or the left leaning people in America.
    The Republican Party members often bristle at being called “Fascist.” Are Republicans fascists? I think they are. The modern Republican party is not to be confused with the Party of Lincoln or the rather Libertarian Party of Robert G. Ingersoll, Teddy Roosevelt, James G. Blaine, and Goldwater. They were against racism. The modern party is fascist in structure and ideology. Calling them fascist is no more pejorative than calling democrats socialists. Many modern Republicans are overt, secret, or subconscious racists and white supremacists.
    The Republican Party is extremely nationalistic and decidedly authoritarian. They push the Patriot Acts, Domestic spying, and denial of individual rights. They created the House Un-American Activities Committee, Black listing, voter fraud, voter intimidation, and opposition to equal rights. Republican politicians boldly attempt to suppress dissent and criticism. Like European Fascists, modern Republicans forged an unholy alliance with Crawthumper Evangelists, unlike the Lincoln, Blaine, and Ingersoll Republican Party of the 19th Century that welcomed Atheists and Agnostics (Robert Ingersoll, Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, and others) while the old Democratic Party was very pro-Christianity, pro-segregation, once pro-slavery, and anti-science. In 1950’s America the Democratic Party and Republican Party practically exchanged their entire membership.
    The Republican Party of America is a coalition of Corporate America, religious fundamentalism, jingoistic ultra-nationalism, and white supremacy. The Republican War Against Science is intended to hold the alliance with Christian Fundamentalism.
    Amergin

Of course! Me good, You bad etc. Every word can be used two ways. Either as apologetic or polemic. Neutral is honest, but that would be boring 😉
    All modern industrial societies are fascist … they all have governments and corporations in an inseparable bond. Now Nazi is a particular kind of fascist, as is Stalinist. Socialist is a particular kind of fascist also. Nazi is extreme Right, Stalinist is extreme Left (as is Maoist), Socialist is moderate Left (aka Center-Left). Christian-Democratic is moderate Right (this is found in Europe aka Center-Right). Political economics can't be split into two different disciplines … politics and economics, because in empirical practice, they are not … to split them is only an academic exercise.
    Republicans vary from Christian-Democrat to Nazi. Democrats vary from Socialist to Stalinist/Maoist (depends on if they emphasize urban or rural collectivization, though they do both). Of course not all politicians are as they appear. In fact you can usually assume that in politics nothing is as it appears; not partisanship, not bipartisanship, not where people actually fall on the political spectrum, and sometimes not even who was leading vs who was enabling.
    Bush Jr was not the President, Cheney was. Bush Jr was an enabler of the Cheney empire/police state, same as the Democrats. Bush Jr was a Christian-Democrat, but Cheney was a Nazi. So that administration, being puppeteered by Cheney who could not be elected on his own, portrayed itself as Christian-Democrat, but it was actually Nazi.
    The Obama administration is different, yet similar. Obama is clearly running the show, not Biden. So no deceit there. But the administration is portrayed as Socialist by the Republicans (but Christian-Democrat by the Democrats), but in fact both Obama and Biden are Christian-Democrats, same as Bush Jr. This is clear because the Obama administration has continued many Bush Jr personnel and policies. FDR's New Deal it is not (which would be genuine Socialist). In this case both the Democrats and the Republicans are bipartisanly conducting a disinformation campaign against the public, the Democrats during the campaign, the Republicans after the campaign.
    Shalom

I didn't watch it either, I couldn't, I don't like seeing those kinds of things, even though I know they happen. My oldest daughter, who has a 2 year old and a 10 month old, doesn't have any patience for her babies, nor does she have any need to have them with her. She wants to be free and be able to just run out and do whatever she wants to do without having anything to hold her beck. Shes lucky she lives next door and that we love our grandbabies and will take care of them and give them the security they need. If not the peace and quiet, cause it is a chaotic place around here with my other two daughters who don't get along at all. A trailer is a small place for 3 adults and one 17 year old and 2 babies all the time. Especially a single wide trailer.
    But anyway, its true I have been trying to bitch at my oldest daughter about the way mothers are supposed to be. I am constantly on her back and she has gotten to where, if she sees me coming towards her with one of the babies in my arms she will hold up her hand and say, I can't right now! Even if I am just wanting to see what she is doing and am not trying to get her to help us out with her own babies. She just isn't the motherly type, or should I say my idea of a motherly type. She has friends her age who are the motherly types, so I can't say all young women around here are that way. I believe its just my daughters personality to not be motherly. So my husband and I have dealt with the fact that we will have to raise our grandbabies, mostly, with her and her boyfriend playing the momma and daddy on the rare occassion, when they feel like it.

Well, thanks for explainin' it all, I was a bit confussed about which party I oughtta belong to, but seeing the way you explained it helped me to decide I oughtta be on the side of my husbands favorite. Its nice when people explain it well to remind me just what side I need to be on. I have a terrible memory and forget too much more than I am comfortable with. But good job and short and sweet as well. 🙂

PS – what I mean is the Clinton and Obama administrations, are not actually Democratic, since genuine Democrats can't get elected to national office, only regional office. They are both in fact, Center-Right aka Moderate Republican.
    Shalom

I used to be a progressive Southern Democrat, Socialist on domestic issues, Christian-Democrat on foreign issues. Extremism repels me. But since both parties have abandoned just about anything I believe in, I am now Independent, though I mostly don't vote, because I have no party platform I can support.
    Shalom

Many children mature at different rates and some never mature at all. In authoritarian societies this was not allowed, as it was OK to beat women into proper behavior … and men too. So they had the same problems we have, but it was covered up by adults being un-free.
    My daughter is probably like your oldest daughter, but she is a bit smarter so far, she doesn't want to get married soon, and definitely doesn't want any children. In traditional society that would be solved by beatings from her father, and marital rape by her husband and beatings by him as well. I am glad I am not so traditional, but then I have no imperative to have my name carried on, by grandsons or granddaughters.
    Shalom

Gandalf said don't be too quick to deal out death. Hemingway said … don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
    Maybe you should apply for a job as an executioner, as a way to work out your angst?
    Shalom

Ah, but under original sin, even babies are guilty ;-(

I get these thought that they were pretty good.
    —————————————————–
    “Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the other day that the prison at Guantanamo Bay has become a taint on the reputation of America. And that's what the Bush administration will always be remembered as — America's taint.”
    – Bill Maher
    Terrorist Lockup
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    Scott Pelley [CBS]: Would you close Guantanamo Bay?
    Sen. John McCain, Pres. Candidate: Yes. I would close Guantanamo Bay. And I would move those prisoners to Fort Leavenworth. And I would proceed with the tribunals.
    Scott Pelley: Why? What's wrong with the way it was handled?
    Sen. John McCain: Guantanamo Bay has become an image throughout the world which has hurt our reputation. Whether we deserve it or not, the reality is Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib have harmed our reputation in the world, thereby harming our ability to win the psychological part of the war against radical Islamic extremism.
    April 8, 2007
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    What Were You Thinking?!?
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Many people don't think of Memorial Day as anything other than a day off…”
    You mean another day off to shop, don't you? What could possibly honor Vets more than a 40% off sale?
    Completely Missing the Point
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    Because This Is America….
    Iraqi Government Signs Declaration of Dependence
    The war ravaged nation of Iraq is closing in on one of the country's most potentially defining pieces of literature – as government officials and leaders today lent their signatures to the newly drafted Iraqi Declaration of Dependence.
    The document, modelled after America's Declaration of Independence, marks a bold new course for Iraq – a country which for many years has threatened to govern itself amid the imposition of democratic elections.
    “This country can now stand proud as a nation completely dependent upon other nations”, said Iraq's President Jalal Talabani. “No longer will we entertain the idea of Iraq being governed by Iraq. A new era dawns in our history. We can now finally be recognised as a dependent nation of the world”.
    Several nations have fought long and hard for almost twenty years to bring about Iraqi Dependence, with the United States being chief among those upon whom Iraq will continue to depend. “This is a great day for the people of Iraq and the US armed forces”, said US Defence Secretary Robert Gates. “Finally our military presence has paid off and we can continue looking forward to ruling over Iraq for many generations”.
    However, US President Barack Obama is thought to be lamenting his decision to announce a withdrawal of combat military personnel from Iraq, insisting that he wouldn't have made such a decision had the Declaration of Dependence already have been signed. “If there is one thing that mars Iraq's historic day it is that the people of Iraq will no longer be able to depend on the combat personnel who have made their life a living hell these past 6 years. None-the-less, this is a time for celebration”.
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Osama bin Laden's former cook — I believe his name was Goatgang Puck if I'm not mistaken — is coming to New York to face charges. You know, we also got his driver. And here's the good news. I understand we're closing in on his pool boy and his aroma therapist. Yeah, we are closing the net.”
    – Jay Leno
    Recession Hits Al Qaeda
    National Security Adviser: US Safer Under Obama
    President Barack Obama's national security adviser laid out a sweeping rebuttal Wednesday to former Vice President Dick Cheney's charge that America is less safe under the new administration.
    Pointing to increases in defense spending, efforts to get out of Iraq and revamp the strategy for Afghanistan, and a broad campaign to repair the U.S. reputation abroad, retired Marine Gen. James Jones said the nation is safer today than it has been. But, he added, no administration is perfect.
    “I think that the former vice president knows full well that perfection is an impossible standard,” said Jones, adding that the U.S. can only do everything it can “to keep threats at bay and as far away from our shores as possible.” …
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Joint Chiefs Chairman Mike Mullen told the Senate Thursday that Afghanistan's poppy crop is financing the Taliban. It stirred debate. Republicans were quick to point out that if we were to deregulate the domestic heroin industry we could bring those jobs back home.”
    – Argus Hamilton
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    Sure, You Can Criticize….
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Waterboard your neighbor before they teabag you!”
    ….(from the Sermon on the Undisclosed Location)
    The 83 Waterboardings of Abu Zubaydah
    The following is a transcript of notes taken at the interrogation of Al Qaeda operative Abu Zubaydah. It was released by the C.I.A. at the request of Vice President Dick Cheney in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of enhanced interrogation techniques approved by the president.
    1. Ha! Is this waterboard supposed to scare me? You think I don't know that you are constrained by U.S. and international law from ever actually …
    2. Hey! What the [redacted]?!
    3. No, seriously. What the [redacted]?!
    4. You're Americans! Who do you think you are? Us?
    . . .
    77. O.K.! Enough! I'll tell you everything! The truth is, Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden were engaged in a high-level operational relationship to coordinate the transfer of conventional weapons …
    78. Chemical weapons …
    79. Biological weapons …
    80. Nuclear weapons? You expect anyone to believe …
    81. But Saddam didn't have any …
    82. … nuclear weapons to terrorists who intended to use them to destroy a major American city and were saved by the brave actions of your American president, George Bush! We good?
    83. Bastards.
    Grand ReOpening!
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Dick Cheney is seeking a $2 million advance for a memoir about his service in four presidential administrations. He'll be writing his memoirs with one of those pens where the ink doesn't smear when you get water on it.”
    – Jerry Perisho
    Ode To The Deceitful Cheneys
    By Madeleine Begun Kane
    There once was a daughter named Liz
    Who joined in the family biz.
    The business was lying,
    With all members vying
    For liar-in-chief — each a wiz.
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “There was sort of an unprecedented event this week when Obama was on television giving his version of national security, and then moments later Dick Cheney was on. It was all about Obama vs. Cheney: yes we can vs. go f@#k yourself , biracial vs. bicentennial; walks with a spring, craps in a bag.”
    – Bill Maher
    Earlier This Week….
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “A right-wing radio host in Chicago named Erich 'Mancow' Muller lasted only 6 seconds being waterboarded and admitted that it felt like torture. To which Cheney said, yeah, but after the 180th time you start getting used to it.”
    – Pedro Bartes
    Dick Cheney's Second Act
    By goading a sitting president into responding to his arguments on his terms, Dick Cheney won the contest with Barack Obama last week before either said a word. And his re-emergence onto the public square seems to be driving everybody nuts.
    “Cheney has popped out of his dungeon, scary organ music blaring, to carry on his nasty campaign of fear and loathing,” wrote Maureen Dowd in her New York Times column earlier this month. A talking head on cable declared the former vice president's speech last Thursday “as sleazy a presentation by a vice president as we've had since Spiro Agnew.” …
    For much of the Beltway, the Cheney surge is baffling. After all, when Mr. Cheney left office, his reputation seemed divided between those who thought him a punch line on late-night TV and those who thought him a war criminal. As so often happens, however, the conventional wisdom seems to have blinded Mr. Cheney's ideological opponents to the many advantages he brings to the table.
    First is his consistency. The case he is making now is the same case he has been making for the past seven years. Even people who disagree with that case would have to concede its coherence…
    [yeah, that “Stay The Course” thing really worked out so well….]
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “I can't believe Dick Cheney keeps giving speeches. He's appearing on T.V. news shows. It's like he thinks he is still president, you know?”
    – Jay Leno
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “There are some people who are saying that maybe Dick Cheney is setting himself up to actually run for president. You know, it makes sense. Republicans are looking for fresh blood, and Cheney just had some yesterday.”
    – Bill Maher
    How Is Cheney Wrong? Let Me Count the Ways
    Some people think we're paying too much attention to former Vice President Dick Cheney. I think we may be paying too little. As bracing as last week's Obama-Cheney face-off was, the inevitable focus was on the current president, not the former vice. And for those of us who are relieved he's out of office, there's a tendency to treat Cheney with “there he goes again” ennui. Yet Cheney's speech at the American Enterprise Institute was so chockfull of faulty arguments and rank misrepresentations that it's worth taking the time to review them, in their multiple incarnations. …
    The outright misstatement: “The interrogations were used on hardened terrorists after other efforts had failed. They were legal, essential, justified, successful and the right thing to do.”
    But former FBI agent Ali Soufan offered a completely conflicting account of his interrogation of Abu Zubaida, telling the Senate Judiciary Committee that the injured terrorist was cooperating and yielding important information — the previously unknown role of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in the Sept. 11 attacks — until other interrogators insisted on stepping up the pressure, at which point Zubaydah clammed up. …
    Finally, ultimate chutzpah: Cheney assailing the Obama administration for failing to disclose documents. “[A]ll that remains an official secret is the information that we gained as a result [of interrogations]. Some of his defenders say the unseen memos are inconclusive, which only raises the question why they won't let the American people decide that for themselves.”
    Cheney, ardent tribune of open government. Now, that's rich.
    The Not-So-Loose Cannon
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “Well, over the weekend you know, there was some more back and forth between former Secretary of State Colin Powell and Rush Limbaugh. It's getting nasty. I don't know, General Powell versus Rush Limbaugh. You know, unless it's a pie eating contest, I gotta go with Powell, okay?”
    – Jay Leno
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “North Korea detonated a nuclear bomb yesterday during an underground test. Vice president Biden immediately released a statement saying that he and the president are safe in their new ultra-secret bunker located in the attic of the White House.”
    – Pedro Bartes
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    Hmmmm, You Look Familiar….
    =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–= =–=
    “North Korea tested another nuclear bomb. The fear is that North Korea will sell this nuclear weapon to some unstable, volatile world leader, you know, like Dick Cheney.”
    – Jay Leno
    ***************

Well, instead of executioner…think of it as Time Shortener…..death comes to all anyway……..sai ram

Original sin results from Social Depression.

People often find something on which to blame their vocational disappointment. I have posted before on the Original Sin Mythology with its Garden of Eden metaphor. Humans tend to be disappointed with their success falling short of their ideal life. They usually think back to Golden Ages when everything was better. Of course, the Golden Age never existed in real life. However, the mythical Golden Age did end. Why did it end? We lost it for some good reason. It must have been punishment for some sin our moron ancestors committed. The theme is the delusion of a Golden Age. The plot involves a sin that caused the end of the Golden Age, Original Sin.
    Judeo-Christianity remembers pre-10,000 BCE Hunter-Gatherer edge of survival existence as the “Garden of Eden.” The idyllic and unrealistic myth of Eden glorifies the “good ole days” as a time when humans could gather food from magic orchards in the garden. There was no sweat or labour. They did not have to work. The Christians, Jews, and Muslims remember the happy myth, but forget the realities of Hunter-Gatherer life. They forget the reality of being eaten alive by hyenas, crocodiles, lion prides, wild dog packs, and lone leopards in the night. They forget the famines and starvation when game became scarce. They forget the cannibalism from other human groups. They forget having their babies snatched up by hyenas. That was the Garden of Eden. Nobody had to work.
    Then along came the walking serpent who guided them through pastoralism and then agriculture. The Serpent told humans to inquire and learn. Then they only rarely starved. Their population exploded. However, they had to WORK. They had to sweat, walking a bloody plough behind a farting yoke of Oxen. It seemed miserable to the farmer and his son. Oh! Why did we loose the golden age of The Magic Garden (Hunter Gatherer survival edge existence)?
    Original Sin lost the Garden for us. Original Sin was our devil inspire quest for knowledge and inventiveness. God told us to remain stupid for our own good. Adam and Eve could not quell their inquiring minds and inventive talents. They sought knowledge and that pissed off God. He punished us by giving us progress and civilisation. We want to go back to the Magic Garden of Eden. We really hate work. We would rather sit under the shade of the Sabean Sycamore slowly sipping sweet Sumerian Sundakanch at sunset.
    Amergin

You do not need my lecture to be good. You are a truly good person, and it is not based on philosophical lectures. It is based on your brain. Whether your memory is good or not is not important. You have a built in Moral Compass. It is not so much as memory but of intuitive (instinctual) goodness.
    I have not always been as good as I would like to be.
    You are “gooder” than me.:-) Do not pay attention to my imitation of Glasgow street talk.:-0
    That is why we all love you here.
    Amergin

Which is why I am not Buddhist/Hindu or Muslim. I am not a fatalist. But if I were really Buddhist or Vedantist/Hindu … I would know that life and death are both illusions, so your statement … “death comes to all anyway” … would be meaningless 😉
    Shalom

In ancient agrarian societies you were bound to your caste. If you were part of the 90% of the population on the bottom, a level we still see in the most depressed Third World countries, can you understand why people would be depressed? Not only did life suck, but it was very likely to suck no matter how hard you tried to change it, because change itself (progress) was a foreign concept, just as it is in traditional societies today. Thus gnosticism and Manicheism made a lot of sense to those people, the present world was clearly evil (at least to idealists or anyone infected with hope), and the only hope of ever having any happiness at all, was in the afterlife. And that is what still motivates people like the highly impoverished and supremely traditional Pashtun, who provide the manpower for the Taliban. And why they are so motivated to get to the afterlife early. For fat soft Americans, even American poor, we have hope in this life, want to not die soon, and so are the antithesis (as the Taliban correctly perceive) of the Pashtun.
    Shalom

Both involve State controlled capitalism rather than an elite societal control of it in so-called democracies where both* could function competitively, if they chose, but also know they would have forever, little chance of a majority in their own right but only in a temporary coalition.
    Regards,
    Kasey
    * [Fascism and Communism]

Except the concept of original sin is a nonsense!

Nazis had the Krupps but Stalinism only had Krushchev.
    Shalom

Read my condensed essay on Original Sin.

I watched this and just can't begin to imagine how or why? As a mother my instinct is to protect my kids even if it meant giving my life to do so.Now this little girl gets to live with the horrible nightmares of her mommy tossing her and her baby brother off a bridge….and watching her brother die. I just can't begin to imagine. God wrap his arms around this family and protect them from any more harm. I am so sorry.